How much Copper is too much?

tomfrh

Jan 30, 2018
Australia
I have used copper algacides several times in the 3 years we've owned our pool. I haven't noticed copper staining, and no issues with hair and fingernails. In another thread I've been told copper is to be avoided.

Should I test for copper and reduce if necessary? Is there an acceptable level? If I don't have staining problems is it ok as it is?

Once copper levels get above 2-3ppm you’re in trouble because it doesn’t take much of rise in pH to make the copper ion scale out as copper oxide/hydroxide (it starts as a mixed oxide/hydroxide then slowly converts to a much more difficult to remove oxide).

If you’re close to 1ppm, you should probably do a 50% partial drain.

What’s your weather like? Do you get significant rainfall over the winter? Do you have to periodically drain water from the pool when it rains?

As the old saying goes - the solution to pollution is dilution...

It's never recommended to add any product containing copper to your pool. The only way to get rid of it once its in there is to drain the pool. You might not see any staining yet but with the right conditions it could become an issue for you.

A properly maintained pool, using the FC/CYA chart is all that you need to keep algae at bay.

Some pool shops will test it for you, but I would take it to three and play dumb like you're going to buy stuff and cajole them into testing for 'metals'. I suggest 3 because they're equally inaccurate at testing metals as anything else, but with three you should get a sense of where you might sit. You can buy a copper test, but they're a bit expensive as well.

You can tell them you have a well or something (which have more metals risks, but more likely to be iron). In case it's above 0.5 ppm, check their prices on metal sequestrants while you're there, in case you need it later. A bottle of the absolute same strength and formula can vary from $20 to $50. Example:
Metal Remover Stain Removel for pools- Direct Pool Supplies
http://www.australpool.com.au/uploaded/files/client_added/LoChlor%20MSDS/Metal%20Solution.pdf

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.