NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
So my new gunite pool is about 2 months old now. My ph is constantly drifting up. I know this is normal for the first year or so, but should I try adding boric acid to help level it some or should I wait out the first year and try next year if it’s still a problem. The first month or do we had a bubbler on and I turned it off realizing it will raise ph and at start up they had the returns pointed high it was breaking the surface so I tilted them so it’s just skimming the surface.
If I should add it and it won’t hurt fresh gunite how much do I add for a 15,000 gallon pool I read on a post about 50 ppm which in pool math puts me at about 36 lbs. how do I even test for the final number to confirm or does it not really matter.
What effects could it have on other things?
I also tried lowering my TA to help stabilize it but it won’t stay low. It keeps trying to stay at 80.
Here is the boric acid I found on Amazon in 10lb bags, I’m thinking of just throwing 3 bags in which is 30 lbs.
Boric Acid Pure Fine Granular Powder 10 Lb.Create Your own Solution. 100 Household Uses Boric Acid Pure Fine Granular Powder 10 Lb.Create Your own Solution. 100 Household Uses: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Boric Acid will add some pH buffering that should slow down the rate pH drifts up, but won’t prevent it. So you will still need to add acid to lower your pH.

The target is 50-30ppm (inverted because of you start the season with 50 you will end close to 30).

Taylor has borates test strips for borates to help you have a ballpark idea of how much borates you have. Keep in mind if you ever use Borax it will also add borates.

The downside of borates is they are toxic if ingested in large quantities, so you can’t have pets ( or children ) drinking water from the pool.

You can get Boric Acid from Duda Diesel. Just make sure to get granules that are easier to dissolve.

Note: I’m only listing cons as that was what the OP was asking.

Further reading:

Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.