How many people in freezing areas do not drain their AGP

richierich

Bronze Supporter
Jul 12, 2013
Long Island, NY
I have the aquador and a threaded plug for my return. I'm thinking of just leaving my water level where it is when I close. Will those items protect my skimmer and return? It should be noted I will be using a micromesh cover so I may periodically have to drop in the sump pump and drain a little if the water gets too high. Can the freezing water somehow break the skimmer or return even with the aquador or return plug. I mean they aren't "flush" against the liner. Can they somehow get pulled up as the water freezes.

If your pool freezes solid it can distort the shape of the pool a little bit, which may cause the aquador to loosen. Some reviews on Amazon state that it leaks. I didn't see anything that addressed a solid freeze situation. I think I would still use a winter pillow to give some room for ice to expand if you freeze solid. I would drain the pump and filter and disconnect the pump just in case.

I have the aquadoor and don't drain. I replaced the cover plate on the skimmer this year. I always had a slow leak out of the old one. I left the hose connected to the skimmer but down on the ground away from the pool. I put a empty water bottle upside down in the skimmer for expansion but never froze inside of it. I check the skimmer frequently thru out the winter.

Water level depends on if the water level went below the bottom of the skimmer. I remember that before it leaked and it was colder I didn't have any problems with the pool water freezing.

I always close with the water level half way up the skimmer. Don't drain any. I have taken the lid off my skimmer and looked inside and can see the water level on the aquadoor. With the aqualuminator I get from the pool store a rubber stopper with washers, long screw (head is coated) and a wing nut. Got a new one this year, when I opened there was rust under it.

I don't put the wire on at closing, I clip the cover down and my fence posts hold the cover down. Just in case I need to access under the cover. Before it gets really cold I run the wire thru.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.