How many humans does it take to install a liner...

QueenP

Jun 9, 2016
Basehor, KS
I am begging...please help me! Never will I ever sign up to build an above ground pool by ourselves again. It’s a 27 foot x 54 inch Round AGP. Leveling the ground was a nightmare. We honestly thought our ground was fairly level. 🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️
We have a neighbor with a transit. Thank God for him. Once the leveling was done, 2 whole weeks later (rain did not help!), it was time to construct the pool. Liner is up next. How many people does it take to install a liner?!! All tips and tricks are incredibly appreciated!! I am nervous 😣.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don’t cut skimmer hole until you have some water in, to stretch your liner!

i’m going to let someone else answer that part, since I don’t have that kind of pool.

Reactions: QueenP
The above video is good to watch. There are only a couple of differences in how we did it and how they did it.

Basically here are the steps. Once you have the bottom prepared you hoist the folded up liner into the center of the pool. This is the part that requires the muscles! I have a tractor with a loader on it so I just used that. You could build a ramp over the wall out of boards that you could slide the boxed liner on, or get a few strong people to help hoist it over the wall. Once you have it in the center start unfolding it. And once you have it mostly unfolded to the wall start hanging it on the wall and installing the top channel if it isn't a beaded liner and the channel is already installed.

Once you get the liner hung all the way around take a soft bristled broom (emphasis on SOFT) and 'sweep' it as straight as possible toward the wall. Once you get it as good as you can with the broom take the shop vac and stick it in the wall cutout for the skimmer almost to the bottom of the wall just above the cove. Use a rag (thick towel) to help seal around the shop vac hose (or use duck tape like they did) and turn it on. Work the liner with the broom and your hands until it conforms to the wall and the wrinkles are out. Then start filling it with water. Pull the vac hose up as the pool fills to prevent trapping it behind the liner. Once the water is about 1/3rd the way up you can remove the shop vac.

Don't be afraid to stop, readjust the liner and start over a few times. Also don't worry about the 'bump' left by the shop vac hose as it'll lay flat as you pull the hose out.

Once the water is just below the return(s) and skimmer opening you can cut those in. I did just as they did in the video, I installed the skimmer and faceplate and then cut the liner out. Some people cut the liner out and then install the skimmer and faceplate so they can use the butterfly gasket to encase the liner and wall.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.