How many gallons?

Jul 18, 2017
Lakeland, TN
We just bought a house with a pool. I'm not sure how many gallons are in it so we can figure what chemicals we will need. Have the test kit, to-100, and ready to go other than the gallons. Anyone want to take a guess?

Attachments

• IMG_1562.jpg
    IMG_1562.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 72
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I guess 36' x 17' x 4' using oval in PoolMath = 16500 gallons

Good enough number as any to start with ... if you consistently over or under-shoot your targets, then adjust the volume.

- - - Updated - - -

EDIT: nevermind .... I don't think what I thought were depths were really depths now that I see a diving board.

My pool plan and most others I've seen have a capacity estimate right on them. Mine was off by a bit but it was a good starting point. I didn't discover the true volume until I drained and refilled.

If I'm reading the drawing correctly, the main part of the pool can be considered a rectangle of 14' x 36'. If we assume an average depth of 6' and add a bit for the curved portions of your pool (outside the main rectangle), 22000 gallons should be close enough to get you started.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That is a seriously convoluted blueprint. With all those measurements, why not throw in 2 more and show the length and width too? And if it is 14' x 36' x 6', why's it say in the corner 14x14x36?

Not sure if this pic helps. Will use 22k to start. It has zero chlorine and 140 cya. Have someone coming next week to give us an estimate to replaster and replace pumps as one isn't working. Would like
to be able to use it until that time and not have to drain before then because of cya.

Attachments

• IMG_1622.jpg
    IMG_1622.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 53
It's a very pretty design, but with FC at 0 and CYA at 140, you'll probably need a slam in case algae's already got a foothold. Seems in the picture there is a slight green tint already. With 140ppm CYA and 22k gallons, a slam will be awfully expensive and difficult, with a FC slam level of 55, and currently at 0, you'd have to add 12 gallons of 10% chlorine just to get up to slam level. A partial drain and refill would be better to get your CYA down.

On the otherhand, if you're gonna replanted it, and I assume that pool would need to be empty for that, a drain and refill might be kinda pointless if it's gonna be drained in another week or 2.

- - - Updated - - -

By comparison, at 40ppm CYA, you'd target 16ppm FC to slam, needing just 3.5 jugs to get up to it at first and then add to maintain

We were left with no equipment other than a net with a duct taped handle. We need to get something to clean it. What would be best? Dolphin? Polaris? There's a Hayward 450/550 series cartridge filter and 2 Hayward pumps. One does not work and is for the water feature. I'm thinking we will get both replaced but have no idea with what. Would also like to switch to salt when we do all of this. Will update signature with current equipment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.