How long to run Stenner pump?

dschribs

Mar 14, 2013
CT
For those of you w Stenner pumps, how do you calculate how much bleach your pump disperses at a given run time?

I just bought a fixed rate Stenner 45MPHP10 (100 psi) from Locke. The pump come w #2 pump tubes.

I normally add roughly 95 ounces of bleach each day in the Summer months. My pool gets full sun the entire day and I usually keep my CYA at around 45 or so.

How do I know how long to run the Stenner? It's going to be plugged into a separate timer.

My wife makes fun of me for all the things I track. But, hey, here's an Excel workbook couple of spreadsheets that will help you out: stenner calc.xlsx - Google Drive <-- download and use as you wish. Link has been updated due to some Google docs security update.

The first spreadsheet "Run Time" assumes that you only have a timer with minute increments. If you can do fractions of a minute, you'll need to revise. Anyone that uses this just needs to change the Pump Gal/Day setting to match his or her pump, and then supply the value in the Oz Needed cell. This will tell you how long to run your pump.

For example, you need 95 oz/day @ 10 gal/day pump. To achieve you'd need to run for 106.875 minutes. In reality, it would be 107, and you'd actually pump 95.111111 oz.

The calculated Pump Oz/Minute is used on the next spreadsheet.

The Usage spreadsheet will track your usage, and will help you know when to go fill the tank. I basically just update the usage any time I adjust the run time on my pump, or every week. I was a little slow updating recently, and realized the pump was empty the day before. Oops!

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
My wife makes fun of me for all the things I track. But, hey, here's an Excel workbook couple of spreadsheets that will help you out: stenner calcs.xlsx - Google Drive <-- download and use as you wish.

The first spreadsheet "Run Time" assumes that you only have a timer with minute increments. If you can do fractions of a minute, you'll need to revise. Anyone that uses this just needs to change the Pump Gal/Day setting to match his or her pump, and then supply the value in the Oz Needed cell. This will tell you how long to run your pump.

For example, you need 95 oz/day @ 10 gal/day pump. To achieve you'd need to run for 106.875 minutes. In reality, it would be 107, and you'd actually pump 95.111111 oz.

The calculated Pump Oz/Minute is used on the next spreadsheet.

The Usage spreadsheet will track your usage, and will help you know when to go fill the tank. I basically just update the usage any time I adjust the run time on my pump, or every week. I was a little slow updating recently, and realized the pump was empty the day before. Oops!

Hope this helps!

Thank you!!! Very helpful. I actually added one last column on my spreadsheet that converts the total minutes to more of a time value. (In other words 104 minutes calculates to one hour and 44 minutes)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.