How long before shocking after adding algaecide

May 30, 2017
Ohio
Without realizing the potential complications I added a whole gallon of algaecide to my 30,000 gallon pool. In reality I realize I should have been continuining to shock to help clear up the water from a green pool start up. My question is how long before I can resume shocking after the addition of algaecide? Should I wait 24 hours? As a side note chlorine levels were low when added the algaecide so I didn't want to reduce the effectiveness of shock and this is probably the biggest concern.

I don't know what to tell ya here except you don't need anything for a green algae filled pool except bleach. And then more bleach.

Algaecides do NOT kill algae. They work to help *prevent* algae, but if you've already got it that gallon of potion won't do anything positive for ya.

You need to read up on how to properly SLAM your pool using liquid chlorine/aka bleach, and a GOOD test kit. You can find all the information up in the Pool School articles at the top right of this website.

Maddie :flower:

Without realizing the potential complications I added a whole gallon of algaecide to my 30,000 gallon pool. In reality I realize I should have been continuining to shock to help clear up the water from a green pool start up. My question is how long before I can resume shocking after the addition of algaecide? Should I wait 24 hours? As a side note chlorine levels were low when added the algaecide so I didn't want to reduce the effectiveness of shock and this is probably the biggest concern.
Welcome to the forum.

Without knowing what was in that algaecide, I would wait at least 30 min with the pump running.

How are you testing the water?

I believe back in the day, my pool store would recommend waiting 2 hours with pump running before "shocking." If you follow the methods taught here you will never need to ever add algaecide again (except maybe when you close your pool).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.