How I reduced my electric bill

Blowout

May 13, 2012
San Jose, CA
Thought I'd share some of the ways I was able to reduce our electric bill without adding solar panels. We have PG&E and folks on the Nextdoor forum with a pool are complaining of electrical bills coming close to $1,000/month and most are about half that. Our monthly bill is under $130/M.

- Variable speed pump. I went with a 220v Pentair Intelliflo and received a $200 back from PG&E at the time with their rebate program. Our cost ended up at around $800.

- Re-plumbed pool. When we had our plaster pool refinished, I had the plumbing redone to provide the shortest length run to the equipment pad and upsized the return pipes from
1 1/2" to 2". The equipment pad is 66' from the nearest edge of the pool and the distance to the return outlet on the far side of the pool is 140' from the pad.

- Installed a bypass on the heater. A major contributor to flow restriction is the heater coils. When the heater is bypassed, I see the spillway flow increase substantially. This allows a further reduction in speed of the filter pump. The pressure gauge on the filter does not register when in bypass mode and reads 3 PSI when flow is diverted through the heater.

- Installed Stenner chlorine and acid feed to the system. Used the Liquidator previously. Our pool chemistry is much more stable. Filter run time has been reduced to 10hrs a day during the summer months and 6 hrs a day in winter. I installed the chlorine system 3 yrs ago and the acid last summer. The pool has stayed the cleanest this summer than any summer I can recall and only had to shock once this season.

- Pool cover - The pool was covered 95% of the time to reduce evaporation (water rationing here). Usually having the cover on led to increased algae growth in the past, which caused the need to shock more and run the filter longer, but not this summer. I believe the Stenner system is the reason algae wasn't an issue. Dang our pool was warm this summer... about 89F :)

- LED bulbs - I changed out 90% of the bulbs in the house and yard lighting to LED. Under cabinet fluorescent lights in the kitchen haven't been changed.

Next upgrade:
- Change the pool and jacuzzi bulbs to LED. I haven't found an economical replacement for the 300w incandescent bulbs that are in the waterproof housings. Could any 110v LED flood light bulb be used for this purpose? I would like to use a lower output bulb in the jacuzzi than the pool so the light intensity is the same when both are on. Now the light in the jacuzzi is much brighter than the pool from reflection in such a small area.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in OK and have done almost exactly the same things.. I am using less than I did last year but my cost has gone up 20 dollars a month, not because of me but because the power company keeps raising rates.. They can raise rates every year forever just by asking for it, we have no way to stop them as they do not ask the people paying the bills.. Now they add on fees for "getting" the power to everyone, that costs more than the cost of KWh..

I am installing solar to stop them from raising my rates for the next 25 to 30 years.. I figure this will stop my bill from being 400 to 500 dollars by then.. If they do figure out a way to get more money I will put more panels on my roof.. :)

I believe the discussion would help more people if talking about average KWH per day and not $ since everyone are paying different rates.

I am in Canada. Having a 31 X 14 X 4' deep, ruining the pump constantly during may, june and september / october but maybe half the time during hot time which is only July / August here... Keeping the pool at 84 degree from June to beginning of September which requires a lot of heatpump run time where I am located. My pump is 1.5hp and Heatpum run on 30amp breaker and is good for 110 BTU. Also I have an heatpump to cool the house during pool / hot season and regular house light / appliance consumption.

I average daily at around 85 kwh during the pool season. I pay electricity at 4,7 cents per KWH, very cheap rate in Quebec when using bi energy (electricity most of the time and propane during winter peak consumption hours about 150 hours per year).

I average 60 to 75 KWh per day in the summer and 40 to 60 KWh per day in the winter, in Aug this year I was 74 KWh and 230.37 for the month and last year I was 75 KWh and 201.79 for the month..

Where they get you is the cost to get the power to you.. paying for just the KWh was only $0.040935 costing 88.42 but the extra was $143.20..
This consisted of
Customer charge: $20.00
Energy charge step 1: 1350 KWh at $0.04389 costing $59.25
Energy charge step 2: 810 KWh at $0.05645 costing $45.72
Southwest Power Pool Transmission Cost Tariff: at $0.005539 costing $11.96
Demand Side Management Cost Recovery Rider (Energy) at $0.002552 costing $5.51
Demand Side Management Cost Recovery Rider (Demand) at $0.000263 costing $0.57

With all the extra it costs me $0.1142 cents a KWh

@Jayphil If you lived here and had my power company it would cost you 282 dollars this month.. Is the cost really $0.47 cents per KWh there and you consider that cheap?? that cost you $1,158 dollars for the month?? If so get solar today :)

I average 60 to 75 KWh per day in the summer and 40 to 60 KWh per day in the winter, in Aug this year I was 74 KWh and 230.37 for the month and last year I was 75 KWh and 201.79 for the month..

Where they get you is the cost to get the power to you.. paying for just the KWh was only $0.040935 costing 88.42 but the extra was $143.20..
This consisted of
Customer charge: $20.00
Energy charge step 1: 1350 KWh at $0.04389 costing $59.25
Energy charge step 2: 810 KWh at $0.05645 costing $45.72
Southwest Power Pool Transmission Cost Tariff: at $0.005539 costing $11.96
Demand Side Management Cost Recovery Rider (Energy) at $0.002552 costing $5.51
Demand Side Management Cost Recovery Rider (Demand) at $0.000263 costing $0.57

With all the extra it costs me $0.1142 cents a KWh

@Jayphil If you lived here and had my power company it would cost you 282 dollars this month.. Is the cost really $0.47 cents per KWh there and you consider that cheap?? that cost you $1,158 dollars for the month?? If so get solar today :)
I made a mistake I pay my electricity 4,37 cents or 0,0437$. All this in CAD currency of course. 1$ USD = 1,26$CAD. So you can consider I pey 3,48 us cents per KWH
Here's an example of my last bill which was high because I did run the pump 24/7... 97KWH daily average vs 87KWH daily average the year before.

64 days, 6230 KWH (97,3 daily average).
6230 * 0,0437 = 272,25$
64 * 0,4064 = 26,01 $ for delivery (it is per day)
298,26 * 5 % = 14,91 Federal Tax
298,26 * 9,975% = 29,75 Provincial tax
Total of 343$CAD for 64 days or ruffly 161$CAD (or 128$USD) for a 30 day month .

I consider this fairly cheap.

Maybe a better comparison is the kWh usage over a month's period of time. 15.77 kWh avg this particular month with a temperature range between 75F to 96F as a high.

I've opted in for a medical equipment cost reduction on our PG&E bill (for CPAP) which seems to keep our rate at Tier 1. I just figured out they offered it this year.

A lot of folks have added solar panels (and batteries) in our neighborhood, but I wanted to see what I could do to reduce our electrical in other ways before taking that step.

Last edited:
Get solar panels plus a power wall plus a diesel generator, then disconnect from the utility grid entirely. Your neighbors might not like you anymore after a couple of nights of the diesel generator kicking on but the money you save will be amazing. You can buy new friends.

Could any 110v LED flood light bulb be used for this purpose?
I switched mine to LED when the original bulb (500 watt?) burned out. I think it's a 120 watt equivalent that uses about 15 watts. The pool looks bluer with the LED vs the yellowish incandescent bulb. It also attracts less bugs than the brighter original. I'm pretty sure the LED bulb was made by Philips. They have 90,120 & 250 watt equivalents & the bulb is glass not plastic. They say these shouldn't be installed in an enclosed fixture but thought I'd give it a try since this is a water cooled enclosure. Only 1 season so far but no problems yet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just wanted to add that I installed a Leviton load center with smart breakers (allows me to see energy usage per breaker). With my Hayward TriStar VSP 950 running at 100%, it uses about 8 amps, however when running at just 50%, it uses just over 1 amp. So everyone saying that running at 50% or 25% is substantial energy savings, they are 100% correct.

Also, I just ordered a new Hayward booster pump to replace a really old one from another brand. When the current one (0.75hp is running), I see that is uses about 7 amps. Eager to see if the Hayward W36060 pump is significantly more energy efficient as they claim.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.