How early is too early to begin stocking up?

May 7, 2018
Greensboro, NC
Last year, we went with the liquid chlorine method for our pool (the 10% sodium hypo from Walmart). As the year went on, it became harder and harder to find with COVID and all that. Well, my local Walmart and Lowe's have started carrying my product of choice, Pool Essentials Chlorinating Liquid.

I know this stuff has a shelf life, but, I can basically buy my entire year worth now while it is readily available. The manufacture dates on the bottles are mid January of this year.

Is it too early to start stocking up now for a May opening of the pool? Will it go bad?

We know chorine will degrade slowly over time. What you have to be careful about is the Julian date on the bottles. When my Walmart stocked-up a few weeks ago. The shelves were full of last years' bleach - 182 day. So right off the bat those 10% bottles were probably much weaker. To add insult to injury, I see that HD increased their 3-pack prices by about $3.00. If you buy liquid chlorine, I would look for the freshest stuff out there. Today is Julian day 060 day. If you can find something on the shelf not more than 30 days old, I'd grab it and keep it in the laundry room or somewhere cool. It should last you for a month or two.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.