engrav

Gold Supporter
Platinum Supporter
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jul 4, 2012
Whidbey Island, WA
Hi
So I put on skimmer socks and seem to work Ok.
But still there is a small amount of stuff caught in the pump basket.
And the stuff looks new; not like old stuff that made it to the deep drain and was sucked in.

If skimmer socks are working how can new stuff get into the pump basket?

Why do I care since it is a small amount? Easily removed.

Just an interesting puzzle.

Thank you.

My thought would be maybe it gets in when you remove the skimmer basket/ sock. Even if you turn off your pump, I would think some debris can still be sitting in the water in the skimmer (I know it does in mine) and when you put in the new basket/sock it can push a little down into the skimmer line, which then goes into the pump basket. :)

Do you turn off your pump before you replace the skimmer sock/ clean it out? That definitely will pull a little bit of debris into the pump basket if there is nothing catching it while you are cleaning it out, but it's still runnin

Do you turn off your pump before you replace the skimmer sock/ clean it out?

I do, else floats are difficult to get off.

I wonder if there just is debris in the pipes from "before socks" and it is being pushed out.

Pool is old and could be anything in the pipes vac'd up over decades; coins, little rocks, stuff. Could catch skimmed debris and then later release.

Oh well, will keep on with socks for a time and see if the stuff decreases.

Thanks

Hi

Last night did not remove/clean skimmer baskets and socks but did empty the pump basket. So no chance of stuff slipping under the removed sock/basket. And I have a small rock in each basket to prevent floating when the pump is off.

But still tonight I found maybe a dozen fresh droppings from the surrounding fir trees in the pump basket.

I know this makes no difference but is fascinating (at least to me).

Maybe some fir stuff sinks fast and gets sucked up by the deep drain before it decays and turns black.

By the way
1) is there any down side to skimmer socks save for need to check more often?
2) ok to just use 'em all the time?
3) do they make the pump work harder?
4) how many times can you reuse a sock? (till it looks worn?)

I wish I could find the photo, but it’s lost in the thousands of photos of my kids that’s on my phone.

Earlier this year I was doing something by the pump and for some reason I peaked inside through the lid. I could make out some shape but couldn’t tell what it was. I removed the lid only to find a larger frog swimming inside of the pump. We’ve only got one skimmer so there was only one place it could get in at. My only guess was he found his was into the skimmer as I took out the basket to empty the leaves and somehow got under the basket when I replaced it. Then once I turned on the pump he was in for a ride. I too have always wondered just how this happens.

Hi engrave,
I have the asked your questions 1) an 3) you listed under “By the way” and am interested in the answers as well.
As for 2): We use them all the time and have done so for about 11 years.
4) We reuse our socks until they get a hole in them. We have had socks in the past that would last several summers. I recently ordered some from Amazon; and they are so thin, we are only getting 2 to 3 uses out of them before there is a hole. Can anyone suggest a good brand/source to order socks that are durable?

Hi engrave,
2): We use them all the time and have done so for about 11 years.
4) We reuse our socks until they get a hole in them. We have had socks in the past that would last several summers. I recently ordered some from Amazon; and they are so thin, we are only getting 2 to 3 uses out of them before there is a hole. Can anyone suggest a good brand/source to order socks that are durable?

thanks

wow, 11 years. How often do you clean your filter? When you clean your filter, how does it look?

and

I ordered these
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073GSWKP2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
dunno if they last a season but two of them have lasted a month

We have a sand filter. We back wash 2-3 times each summer. We replaced the sand about three years ago. It looked like we probably didn’t need to replace it.

thanks, I kinda wish I had started socks some time back
they are catching lotsa tiny stuff which I suppose before went right in thru to the glass
oh well

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.