How Do I Treat Algae If I Cannot Physically Scrub the Parts of the Pool Where There is Algae

chuckles98103

Gold Supporter
Sep 1, 2019
Seattle, WA
I've read the TFP posts about black and yellow algae treatment carefully, as I'm in the process of treating my pool for algae.

All of the instructions indicate that "vigorous and frequent" scrubbing of the pool surfaces that have algae is a requisite.

With my pool, because it is an endless pool (and therefore has a bunch of what i'll call "scaffolding" inside the pool, which is used to help generate the pool current and return water to the pump), I cannot get to all of the areas that have algae. I can get to 95% of them .. as I took most of the pool apart and scrubbed it really well and treated it with diluted bleach.

(The pool is currently empty).

Everything I've read says the algae will either (a) not die or (b) will come back if you don't scrub it.

So what do I do if I literally cannot get to 100% of the areas that have algae to scrub them? Am I destined to use an algicide?

Welcome to TFP! :wave: No, I wouldn't say you're doomed. When you think of it, we all have some locations we simply cannot physically touch. Plumbing for example. But we do all we can to ensure anything we can touch gets brushed. For those unique locations, we trust the chlorination, or increased SLAM level if performed, will do its job to break-down the organic materials in those untouched areas. The SLAM Process will work though, and an algaecide would not be required. In fact, most times we don't recommend an algacide unless it's for winter closing or purposely lowering the FC level for something like an Ascorbic Acid treatment. But don't leave the pool empty for too long. That can leave to other plaster or structural issues. Good luck!

Thank you, that helps. I bought a FAS-DPD Chlorine Kit (Taylor K-2006) and I'm going to refill the pool and SLAM it.

The last thing I'm going to remove and clean are the 2 underwater LED lights, which have algae in the gasket. (I read in one of the algae treatment posts that "If you have underwater lights, they should be removed from their niche and the niche brushed out, and then the lights replaced.")

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.