How do I plumb 1.5" pvc to my skimmer and return??

stringer77

Mar 27, 2020
Gateway Pundit, FL
In theory I have everything worked out plumbing-wise, while working on putting together my first AGP. No plumbing is installed yet, but I have all the perfect hayward matching unions recommended by hayward. It's just that I don't know how to connect 1.5" PVC to my skimmer and return, which appear to be set up for flexible pipe. The 1.5" PVC is just a little too small to fit on the fat end of the skimmer. Do I need extra parts? How do I make this work? :brickwall: Thanks.wtf1.jpgwtf2.jpg

Sorry I'm not going to be any help, but I'm hoping you get a response because I'm in the same boat! After several years of leaky flexible hoses, we've decided to try to hard plumb our filtering system. I need advice, too!

If it were me I would get a new skimmer and return bulkhead that takes threaded connections. Skimmer is $30-$40 and the return is $15 I think.

Second option for me is to take those things to a hardware store like Menards/home Depot and find a flex pvc/spa hose/quality suction hose and find one that fits over that and a barbed fitting and use hose clamps. I'm not a fan of that but it works. They probably won't have barbed fittings but at pool pressures you can get away with just clamping bare pvc

I used PVC on my system, I purchased the adapters from my pool store that look like this. They were made by Doughboy I think. They will work with the Hayward parts you have, and will clamp to the 1.5" PVC pipes. I have had mine for about 3 or 4 years and will likely need to replace them in the next year or so due to weathering, started noticing cracks forming on them from the sun drying out the rubber.

1590521971448.png

Stringer, I am new to the forums as well, but in a similar situation. I have a new AG Pool that was installed a week ago. I am determined to hard pipe, but am using 2" PVC for as many connections as possible. My skimmer came with a 1.5" threaded outlet, and I would suggest you try to exchange yours to something like that as well. Not sure if that is an option. I can take pictures of my skimmer (and return) if you like tomorrow. I know the skimmer is Waterway. Sometime in the next week or so, all of my fittings will be delivered (unions, water bond, etc.) and I will start the piping.

Doughboy makes a hard plastic adapter kit for their skimmers and returns, as well as the kit mentioned above. The skimmer part glues on and the return part screws on replacing the part that the flex hose connects to. It's made for 1.5" and I have a new question on this site regarding mixing 1.5" and 2" PVC as my heater is made for 2" The biggest problem is finding the hard adapter kits. I had to drive two hours to a small pool supply store to get mine and bought two in case I screwed up the first one! I'm a little surprised that "universal hose to pipe" adapter kits are not more available as looking at mine I'd say they are not complicated to make and use. OR making skimmers with two types of interchangeable sections where the water drains down, one for hose and one for hard pipe.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Its been a while from this post but this is what I am up to. See attached. I will be cutting out a bugger hole at the bottom of the skimmer and will install a return fitting without the eyeball part and then I will be able to attach a threaded 1.5 in threaded by 2 in slip union which will then be connected to 2in pvc lines.

Attachments

• 9B69BCB7-F7A4-4434-96A6-C62C5A7E072B.jpeg
    9B69BCB7-F7A4-4434-96A6-C62C5A7E072B.jpeg
    263.1 KB · Views: 15
  • F4AEBAED-E6FA-4B07-A9F2-58DEC69EEA91.jpeg
    F4AEBAED-E6FA-4B07-A9F2-58DEC69EEA91.jpeg
    81.8 KB · Views: 15
i know this post is a few months old. I was getting ready to do this exact same thing. Using the same fitting from amazon. Thanks for the post. Now that i know it works, ill do mine.
Did you happen to do the same thing with the return line? Doughboy uses a 2" hole for the return which would need to be increased to 2 3/8". Thinking of using a knockout punch.

i know this post is a few months old. I was getting ready to do this exact same thing. Using the same fitting from amazon. Thanks for the post. Now that i know it works, ill do mine.
Did you happen to do the same thing with the return line? Doughboy uses a 2" hole for the return which would need to be increased to 2 3/8". Thinking of using a knockout punch.
I tried using the step drill bit, wasn’t too clean of a cut but it worked. Knockout should work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.