How do I kill the algae that’s on my Dolphin S50?

aces79

Jun 2, 2018
Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Last summer I left my Dolphin S50 in the pool while I did SLAM and the chlorine made the cord nasty so I’m assuming too much chlorine can be bad for it.

I’m currently doing SLAM on the pool to kill the algae, but what dilution of bleach and water should I soak my Dolphin in to kill the algae on it without harming the brush or tracks?

I'm surprised the previous SLAM level did anything to the cord. I don't recall anyone having that problem before. :scratch: What do you think @Donldson? Perhaps to be safe, I suppose start low with a 4-to-1 ration of water to bleach and see how that works for you. You can always go 50-50 if needed.

Reactions: aces79
The active chlorine level of a SLAM is lower than that allowed in tap water, it's not something that would cause damage to anything intended for use in a chlorinated pool.

A 4:1 dilution of 10% bleach is 25,000 ppm FC. That's a bit high for comfort. If you're intent on keeping the cord out during a SLAM I'd just use pool water in a bucket. Honestly though I really think something else was at fault in fouling the power cord jacket.

IDK the cord was perfect until we left it in the pool during SLAM. At that point it got nasty, slimy and slick and has never felt the same again.

The Dolphin cords are known to have their rubber cladding breakdown with exposure to sunlight, water and chlorine. It’s basically a rubberized cladding similar to the rubberizing material used on cheap wrenches and pliers. It’s not very tough stuff. I agree that the SLAM had little to do with it.

Your robot tracks will be fine. Honestly , unless you can see algae growth on your robot, simply using it in the pool regularly will be enough to kill any algae growth. If you have to clean it, then just use standard household cleaning bleach like the kind you find in Clorox spray. That’s usually around 1% or so. Spray it on, let it sit for a few minutes then hose it off.

The Dolphin cords are known to have their rubber cladding breakdown with exposure to sunlight, water and chlorine. It’s basically a rubberized cladding similar to the rubberizing material used on cheap wrenches and pliers. It’s not very tough stuff. I agree that the SLAM had little to do with it.

Your robot tracks will be fine. Honestly , unless you can see algae growth on your robot, simply using it in the pool regularly will be enough to kill any algae growth. If you have to clean it, then just use standard household cleaning bleach like the kind you find in Clorox spray. That’s usually around 1% or so. Spray it on, let it sit for a few minutes then hose it off.
It sounds to me as if the entire unit should be rinsed with fresh water after each use and stored in a place that is not subjected to direct sunlight. It may say that in the instructions, but hey, who reads instructions? Lol

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.