How do I get algae on floor and ladder when chlorine level is too high?

Jul 10, 2016
Central Ma
If i don't run filter for 24 hours there is a green hue all over the bottom of pool and on the ladder mat. When I check my chemicals the chlorine level is high. Yes, I use the strips but I also have the HTH system with the drops.
My alkalinity is high, Ph is normal, my hardness needs some increasing, CYA is on the money.

Also, and I don't know if I need to put this on a different forum - the green algae that collects on the floor, when I vacuum them they seem to go right through the filter and the return is cloudy. I backwash after each vacuuming and rinse, always.

Some seasons the pool just gives me a headache, and this is one of them.

Thank you

the green algae that collects on the floor, when I vacuum them they seem to go right through the filter and the return is cloudy.
Yep, that's algae alright. I remember those days. Until you have accurate home testing to ensure your chemicals are precise and on the mark, it's very likely you will continue this way. It's very frustrating, but it's 100% a chemical issue. The pH, TA, and CH have nothing to do with the algae, it's all about the proper FC-to-CYA ratio as noted on the FC/CYA Levels. You need to follow the SLAM Process.

I was in the same boat as you last year - always fighting algae while relying on poor testing kits and pool store results/advice. Chlorine looked to always be "high", everyone was confused. Then I found out it wasn't "high" enough for my CYA level which was unmanageable at the time.

This year I decided to go full on TFP route, invested in a good test kit, educated myself from the great articles here, and for the first time, have not had a single hint of algea all year. Pool has never been clearer since I have owned it for the past 3 years since buying the house. All my pool headaches are gone and I am spending much less time managing the pool not to mention at a much more economical routine.

You need to rely on actual accurate numbers and not what test strips show you that you guestimate from or else you will continue to keep having pool headaches.

First off you say your chlorine is high but what value and range do you keep it at throughout your day. Second, what is your exact CYA level. I bet you that your problem stems from one of these values being off from the chlorine/CYA chart ranges you should follow.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.