How do I drain the pool below skimmer line?

Twolabs

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 13, 2014
NE Texas
I had been holding steady with tarping the equipment pad, pool water temp holding around 44 degrees running 24/7. Power went out this morning, and I got scared when the pool almost immediately started to ice over. So I flipped off the breakers, drained the pump, filter, heater and cleaner pump. Then of course maybe 30 minutes later the power comes back on.

I've never had to drain the pool before so I wouldn't even know how to get it below the skimmer line. I did put a bleach jug in one skimmer and a couple of other water bottles in the other. I'm worried about the spa wall and the underground pipes. I'm wondering now if I need to go fire it back up and try to get the water below the skimmer level, but that doesn't help the spa wall?

All of my valves are the automated jandy neverlube valves, so they don't move freely by hand. I do have a water spigot type of valve on top of the pipes leading to the pump, do I open that up and turn the pump on?

Ugh.

*edit to add, if I did that, then I still have water in the underground pipes and no idea how to clear those. Maybe I just hold tight where I am and cross my fingers? Turn everything back on and run the pump, hoping these outages only last 45 minutes like the first one?

I wouldn't worry about the lines underground as we don't have the deep frost lines like folks up north. No doubt the electric grids in TX took a big hit this week - down here as well. Will power stay on? .... That's an unknown right now. Lowering the water level doesn't really do much for you other than perhaps empty the skimmer if you could lower it that far. But if you have plastic jugs in there already to protect the skimmer, it should be fine. If you elect to keep the system off and equipment covered, that should work for now. Hang in there. This cold spell will pass soon.

Now I have another decision to make. In total, power was only out for about 45 minutes, so we jumped the gun. Now the power company has announced they've stopped the rotating blackouts. Pool water line is still at normal level, and we can't drain it below skimmers. I'm seriously considering putting the plugs back in everything and firing it back up. Decisions!

That's fine. You can always let the system run. That's what I'm doing. "IF" power goes out unexpectedly later and it remains off for more than an hour, then just be sure to open the drain plugs before they (pump basket and filter) freeze solid.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.