How can I replace the outlet coupler on Hayward H100ID1 heater?

jmk396

Apr 26, 2018
PA
I was tightening the PVC attachment to the heater's outlet coupler and the coupler broke.

The problem is that it appears glued (or something) to the metal inside the heater so I have no idea how to replace it:
IMG_2797.jpegIMG_2802.jpeg

There is a replacement part available (IDX CPG 1930) and doesn't seem too bad if I can remove the old one and know how to glue/secure the new one.

Also, my warranty is just barely expired (13 months) so I do plan to call Hayward but just incase they deny me I'd like to know how to fix this myself if possible.

The pictures throw off scale. It appears to be a standard grommet covering the
fitting. After the grommet is removed, you may have better access to remove the fitting.
More than likely the fitting will be a sealed not glued.
-Bigpaws

Sealed as in a plumbing pipe dope. It may require removing the
grommet and then remove the heat exchanger to remove the
fitting. None of the diagrams I have seen on this unit show a
decent picture of the fitting. This is a picture I found for a
heat exchanger HD100ID1 Heat Exchanger

If that is the correct exchanger you will note that the end is
threaded.

-Bigpaws

Sorry, I don't see the picture?

If I remove the grommet and even the heat exchanger, if the coupler is attached with pipe dope (glue?) how will I be able to remove it to attach a replacement?

If you take a look at the picture above, part #11 is the broken coupler. It's threaded, but that piece is cracked. However, I need to remove it from the heat exchanger which I can't seem to do by unscrewing the broken piece so it appears glued, etc.

I guess I messed the link up. Try this Heat Exchanger.

If the warranty does not work out. Then order the part
then inspect it. That should give you an idea on removal.
A strap wrench would be me first attempt. Next would be
cutting the joint off. I suspect after removing the heat exchanger
will have more room to work. This looks like it will be delicate
work. Go slowly to avoid damaging the heat exchanger. That
part as you will see is not cheap. Another option would be try
getting a plumber or pool dealer to fix it.

-Bigpaws

It has been a while since I had mine apart, but that fitting should be a regular PVC pipe threaded part from what I can remember. I am sure the Hayward part is about $50 but you should be able to source it from any hardware store that sells PVC parts. I would cut perpendicular to the threads until I was almost to the threads. Do this in a couple spots. You should then be able to break the remaining bits off of the metal part. If you cant get it off that way, try heating it with a heat gun to soften the plastic. There is no glue used to secure these to the heat exchanger. Pipe dope/thread sealant is sometimes used but this is usually to lubricate the threads so they do not seize together.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.