How can I get that chlorine smell back?

Jun 29, 2016
Walhalla, SC
So, I've been doing pretty good on numbers this year, after my new liner. Last year was a mess, but I was learning the basics of TFP while still relying on pool store numbers, so that explains why I had trouble, but it was at least good for learning how levels responded to chemicals. I'm pretty sure I had a permanent dead algae issue I thought was always just dirt - following the manufacturer's FC recommendation of 3ppm at 60CYA. This year after the liner I put new chems in based on the pool store initial measurement, which explains my TA and CH:

FC: 9
CC: 0
pH: 7.8
TA: 150
CH: 225
CYA: 70
Salt: 3200

Now of course, I'm doing it myself instead. My plans now are to keep decreasing TA (already down from 170, adding 1/2gal of MA every 4-5 days) to combat pH rise. My hope is to eventually add borates if my pH is still rising a good bit, but that's for later. I brush pretty much only with MA additions these days, and use my Polaris for 2 days at a time each week to pick up the small petals and bugs at the bottom.

My question is... I really miss the chlorine smell. I love it. I don't want burning eyes, but I miss the smell of towels and swimsuits after a dip in high CCs. My water is pretty odorless right now, which I guess is a good thing, but is there a way to get that smell other than just adding organics for my chlorine to kill?

Is there anything else I should be looking at to keep this new liner in good shape for many years to come? Is my cleaning/maintenance enough?

wow are we coming from different places! I bust into near-panic when I smell CC!

Yeah, I freely admit I'm a weirdo. While it's hard for me (knowing what I know now) to consider jumping in a hotel pool, the smell of it calls to me sometimes.

Go mow the lawn and work up a good sweat and get covered with chaff and then go jump in the pool. That'll at least give you a whiff for old times' sake. :mrgreen:

Now that's not a bad idea for at least a few reasons! :)

When opening my pool, I like the smell of chlorine when I go down to check the pool in the morning. Means I'm killin' some algae! Now that the water is balanced and sanitized I don't smell it anymore. You will smell it on swimsuits and towels after you get out though because the chlorine is doing its job on your body funk - Just smell your bathing suit after you get out :)

I miss the smell of towels and swimsuits after a dip in high CCs. My water is pretty odorless right now, which I guess is a good thing, but is there a way to get that smell other than just adding organics for my chlorine to kill?

I'm pretty sure we're being trolled right here.

"Hey Doc, I know we've got the polio vaccine, but I really miss being able to NOT breathe. Is there anyway I can be put in an iron lung anyway?"

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm pretty sure we're being trolled right here.

"Hey Doc, I know we've got the polio vaccine, but I really miss being able to NOT breathe. Is there anyway I can be put in an iron lung anyway?"

LOL! I promise (cross my heart) I'm at least a little bit serious. :angel:

I don't exactly like the eye-watering crazy smell, but I do love the subtle bleach-like smell most non-TFP pools have. Don't get me wrong; I wouldn't trade properly sanitized water for it, but I do miss that one little aspect of "other" pools.

You all are cracking me up...Might be a good Kickstarter idea...Chlorine scented hangar for your car AC vents...the iSanitize!

I will definitely support this at a $5 level.

Go walk around the pool store and read the labels on the snake oil. You'll get your sniffing fix and see what all has the same ingredients with different names :cool:

Honestly this is what hurts most about not hitting the pool store every week. People think it would be hard to work at a pizza joint because of the constant smell... for me, a pool store would be worse. I still buy salt there, if nothing else. Just don't need much of it unfortunately. :(

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.