How can i build my own in ground swimming pool?

Jun 30, 2010
I bought a house with a pool years ago & I sold the house, but me & my family realy enjoyed the pool.
I would like to build a pool at my new house & I would like to keep the cost extremly low.
How do I go abouth building my own pool instead of hiring a pool company?

Welcome to TFP.

You can buy the pool as a kit and install it yourself. You'll need a backhoe to dig the hole. It's not simple, but it's not extremely complicated either. Google "inground pool kit" and you should find plenty of options.

You can also build block walls in the hole and purchase a liner. You'll probably find examples of that on the web as well.

If you have the time an owner built pool is a good way to save 20-40% on the cost of the pool. In essence you subcontract each phase of the construction. There are web sites that guide you through each step of the process. If our in an area where the economy is poor you'll be better off.

Do your homework and learn the process. Find the subs that the builders use. Do background checks on everyone you consider.

Do you have a Structural Engineer that specializes in swimming pools near you? The engineering will be the road map to how it will be built, so that part is somewhat "easy". There will be city inspections that will check before you proceed to another step, so that will help keep an eye on things (to an extent).

If you can find top quality trades people, and have some knowledge on what to be looking for, you can do it. You will save money. You will not have one person (a pool builder) to go back to if something arises down the road, and everyone will point fingers if there is a problem, so be aware of that potential. Again, if you get top quality subs, you lessen the chance for that to occur.

Keep asking questions and getting educated. Let us see the progress pictures as you go, and then the final product when you are up and running!

Since you mentioned cost as a primary factor, I'd suggest a vinyl liner pool kit. I've built a couple, and if you're handy with tools, it should be no problem. I hired an excavation contractor both times to lay out and dig the hole. If dug properly, installation is very straightforward. Set the walls, concrete bond beam, plumbing, coping, hang liner. First time around, I got pressure-treated plywood and built the walls (16x32 rectangle). After 25 years, the pool is still in use. Current pool is steel wall 16x28 kidney. Search online for kit prices. Best of luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.