How bad is this brace?

Hi All,
My son and I finally got all of the pads dug, tamped and level to each other and the ground. It is finally time to tilt this thing back up!

While removing the U shaped braces from the vinyl sleeve that connects to the strap on the pool, I have found 2 that are distorted (pic of one below).

I cannot find a replacement part anywhere. This is tubular steel, and light gauge at that. How bad would it be to cut this brace open, insert a correctly-shaped piece of wood to help while I “persuade” it back into shape and rejoin, leaving the wood inside for strength?

I know the wood will eventually rot, but I could choose pressure treated material, and doing such a procedure would buy me some time to find a replacement.

Thoughts?
David

Attachments

• B2CA8005-55CF-4184-83B5-B558FCC016BD.jpeg
    B2CA8005-55CF-4184-83B5-B558FCC016BD.jpeg
    609.9 KB · Views: 34
Hi Dig, CJ,
Thanks for the replies. Dig, I am tempted to use them again on the much more stable and thicker pads that have been installed to replace the nonexistent pads from the initial installation.

CJ, if I ditch them, what would be your suggested replacement? As I said in my first post, none are available from any source I can find.

Thanks,
David

Hi Dig, CJ,
Thanks for the replies. Dig, I am tempted to use them again on the much more stable and thicker pads that have been installed to replace the nonexistent pads from the initial installation.

CJ, if I ditch them, what would be your suggested replacement? As I said in my first post, none are available from any source I can find.

Thanks,
David

The shape of that tubing was a big part of it's strength.
If the parts you have are compromised and no good, and you cannot buy replacements I'd say it's time for a new pool :(. Do you feel it's worth the risk to try and use them?

I understand an Intex pool of that size and shape is far from cheap, but I wouldn't feel safe using it that way.

The crimp above the bend is more worrisome than the other bend.

Are these indeed steel? You may want to take them to a welding shop and see if they can weld some angle iron or U channel onto/over the impacted parts. Should not be more than a few bucks for them to do so. Angle iron across the bottom, and two pieces maybe 2' up each end. $20 worth of material, 2 minutes on the saw, and a few feet of welding. It should be quick for them (It would take me an hour, and then 2 hours of grinding out my ugly welds, but that's me)

Hi PD, CJ,
Thanks for your replies. PD, I think you are on the right track, and I agree that the crimp in the corner is the area most at risk. I will double check that they are indeed steel, but I will probably take the bent ones and a good one to a local muffler shop that handles small jobs like these.

I have also read on here about people using electrical conduit (my first guess is that the size is 1-1/2 inches) either bent into shape or cut and then welded into the U shape. They squeeze the end that meets the pool rail so that it becomes oval-shaped and accepts the plastic piece that inserts into the rail.

Thanks for the ideas!

David

The crimp above the bend is more worrisome than the other bend.

Are these indeed steel? You may want to take them to a welding shop and see if they can weld some angle iron or U channel onto/over the impacted parts. Should not be more than a few bucks for them to do so. Angle iron across the bottom, and two pieces maybe 2' up each end. $20 worth of material, 2 minutes on the saw, and a few feet of welding. It should be quick for them (It would take me an hour, and then 2 hours of grinding out my ugly welds, but that's me)

Hi PD, CJ,
Thanks for your replies. PD, I think you are on the right track, and I agree that the crimp in the corner is the area most at risk. I will double check that they are indeed steel, but I will probably take the bent ones and a good one to a local muffler shop that handles small jobs like these.

I have also read on here about people using electrical conduit (my first guess is that the size is 1-1/2 inches) either bent into shape or cut and then welded into the U shape. They squeeze the end that meets the pool rail so that it becomes oval-shaped and accepts the plastic piece that inserts into the rail.

Thanks for the ideas!

David

I don't know about using EMT. Yeah, you could bend it with a conduit bender, but don't know what the working strength of EMT is as compared to the pool support. Heck, if you want to build your own, you could use sections of either black or galvanized pipe and threaded elbows. That is pretty much guaranteed to be stronger than the original part.

Reactions: Wobblerlorri
Hi PD,
I share your concern about EMT. I took the brace to a local muffler shop and explained the situation. They promptly bent the brace back into shape, and said that they thought it is okay now, but if I needed to replace one down the road that they would use tailpipe stock, which would be stronger than what I took in.

I am filling the pool today, so it is time to see if all of this hard work will pay off!

Thanks,
David

Hi PD,
I share your concern about EMT. I took the brace to a local muffler shop and explained the situation. They promptly bent the brace back into shape, and said that they thought it is okay now, but if I needed to replace one down the road that they would use tailpipe stock, which would be stronger than what I took in.

I am filling the pool today, so it is time to see if all of this hard work will pay off!

Thanks,
David

Those who work in a muffler shop are not typically structural engineers.

Please be careful.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi PD,

Thanks,
David
I'd be really concerned about using that brace after being unbent. It's going to be a lot weaker now, and I can just see it snapping under the weight of the water.

Please be careful.

Those who work in a muffler shop are not typically structural engineers.

Please be careful.

Yeah, as somebody who is an engineer (OK, Civil, not Mech, but I did take courses in Mechanics of Materials) I would be leery about bending it back and reusing ti.

Hi PD, All,
The pool is up and has been battle tested by the kids. No issues so far. I did put a press-type plywood sandwich around the corner of the semi-crunched brace, just to be on the cautious side.

I will continue to search for a replacement support. Perhaps my luck will be better in the Fall...

Attachments

• 725EFD36-820E-41FC-8353-0F10EC3E4DFB.jpeg
    725EFD36-820E-41FC-8353-0F10EC3E4DFB.jpeg
    614.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 97834B1A-103E-4AC9-A169-32DA338F4084.jpeg
    97834B1A-103E-4AC9-A169-32DA338F4084.jpeg
    510 KB · Views: 12
Someone on here had steel welded to the legs... try searching for u-shape legs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.