Houston pool build - all filled up, time to swim!

We have plumbing! Any comments or any issues with what you guys see? Unfortunately I couldn't get pics of all the pipes before they covered them up with dirt by the pool but they looked fine.

View attachment 161967View attachment 161968View attachment 161969
Nice big pad and layout. Also easy accessible. Just curious, why did they install the inline chlorinator if you have a SWG? Is that a backup if SWG fails? Also, it is recommended to do a plumbing drawing and have it accessible. If you are not there and have to guide someone to check a valve position, it is easy to talk from a common layout. Great that things are winding up for you.

Reactions: Whiskeyfox
Looking good! I like the idea of different color finishes for the spa and pool. I thought about doing our tanning ledge a different color. It wasn’t expensive relative to the price of the pool but I’d already spent more than I wanted so I mixed the idea. Can’t wait to see how yours comes out.

Little bit annoyed only 4 hours of work has been done in the past 15 days - framing for the deck. The storms + possible hurricane hasn't helped and hopefully the deck area will dry up enough for work Monday.

In other news we finalized the pool finish. We ditched Pebble Sheen due to them having no smoother finish for the spa and are going with wet edge signature moonlight for the pool, and their primera stone in Starfall for the spa. Hope it looks good with the different colors! I'm also glad that wet edge has color offerings with 0 or minimal brown pebble depending. I hate brown pebble filler! Lol
View attachment 163869
View attachment 163870View attachment 163871
You will be very happy with the Wet Edge product. We have Primera Stone for all pool and spa and have really enjoyed it. Have had 3 pool seasons with this thus far. Ensure you get the warranty info from the PB and confirmation from Wet Edge. BTW, who was your PB (you can PM me if you do not want to publish.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to name the pool builder but it's Mike with Prizzm Waterscapes. He is a tiny builder that does around 10 pools a year I believe.

HermanTX the builder didn't want me to go salt just like most builders in texas. He said in his pool maintenance company he has had several people switch from salt to in line chlorinators and he wanted to have it in place in case I wanted to switch later so I didn't have to have it added afterwards. He didn't bill me for the $70 it cost so whatever lol.

Reactions: HermanTX
Decking is being finished while I'm at work, finally!! Now we wait for our plaster date. Bad news is the plaster company has no open dates for 2~ weeks :(

Screenshot_20200929-162847.png

Edit: by the way!!! If you are using pour a lids you need to have them by gunite time as they aren't the same height as regular skimmer lids. The tops of my skimmers had to be cut down about 1-1.5 inches to allow the pour a lids to sit flush with the coping&deck!

Last edited:
I promise I'm not trying to spam with updates but I get so excited to post each new batch of pictures! the deck is done(for now anyways, still doing spray deck after plaster). it feels so good to walk around and not be in mud!! I'm so excited I really wish plaster wasn't 2 weeks away lol. as you guys can see I added a 12'x12' area near the tanning ledge for a future gazebo or something, as well as a little extra concrete to line up with the furthest point on the back wall. I had 1 umbrella holder in the 12x12 added for a temporary chill spot with chairs, and 2 more behind either side of the backwall so I can put poles to run string lights from the 2nd floor patio to.

the concrete company had never seen pouralids before, so last night i went and saw the plastic pieces blocking the holes were completely covered with concrete. I was able to get a flat head into them and pry them out so that they didn't get stuck and become a bigger problem later. I also lifted each lid up and cleaned up the concrete that had seeped in between the lid and the hole so it didn't get stuck in place.pool1.jpgpool2.jpgpool3.jpglid.jpg

Looks great! You are way ahead of us, I'm so jealous. We were supposed to be swimming by Labor Day , my wife just said maybe by Easter, lol. You will never regret having the extra seating area by the pool, and a nice gazebo or pergola will really be nice to have

Looks great! You are way ahead of us, I'm so jealous. We were supposed to be swimming by Labor Day , my wife just said maybe by Easter, lol. You will never regret having the extra seating area by the pool, and a nice gazebo or pergola will really be nice to have
I was originally told it should be done in 4-6 weeks from dig(Aug 6th) but that it shouldn't take anymore than 8 weeks max....tomorrow makes 8 weeks so that's definitely not happening 😂

Reactions: spd500
We will only get mad at you if you do NOT keep taking and sharing pics. We LOVE pics and updates!!!

Good catch on the pour a lids size and them filling in the holes :shock: I hope you were able to point it out to them just incase someone else tries to use them.

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Keep sending the pictures. I love seeing new pics of progress or different views of a pool. I’m in Katy and just got back my hoa approval and I’m very excited. Keep posting pics

Great photos Whiskeyfox! Thanks for posting. Your pool is dreamy :giggle: And thanks for the tip on pouralids—we are getting one, but the PB recommended it so apparently (hopefully) they have experience with them. If it makes you feel any better, out here in SoCal, it's taking 5-7 months from contract to completion. We were told about the delays going in, so we're taking it in stride and not expecting to swim until late spring or early summer 2021. We have a popular PB with a great reputation who has been in business for thirty years, so they're super busy . . . and then there's Covid . . . We signed on 6/30/20 and have not yet broken ground, but it shouldn't be too much longer. Loving this forum and people like you who are sharing the pool build process!

I am waiting like a little kid staring outside the front window hoping the pebble company actually comes this morning.

Aside from that I have a question..I'm planning on string lights from the 2nd floor balcony across the pool. I had 2 umbrella holders added behind the wall for this purpose. Any suggestions what type of pole to search for that will work? I'm thinking just like a 6ft high black pole where I can drill a hole in the top for an anchor if it doesn't have one already. I think 2 umbrellas could work too and just run the string lights to the tip of them, but that might look weirder behind the walls than just the poles.

IMG_20200821_131258~2.jpg

Old pic shows the 2 spots behind the wall

Reactions: colinn
I thought this day might never come! snagged some pics early this morning, we ended up getting tile done for the steps, deep end benches, sun shelf and spa just for visibility. we couldn't find a new tile we liked so we just used the same tile as the waterline. Plaster is in progress as I type!! polishing + acid wash tomorrow and then we start to fill....im going to get some shots tonight of the pebble in the pool, im in LOVE it matches our color scheme perfectly.

tile.jpg

plaster.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.