Houston Heights - New Build

rkb2112

Jan 28, 2021
Houston TX
Hi all! I've gotten some good advice on earlier posts and wanted to start an "official" build thread. I guess actually we're still in the PB selection phase and tweaking our design, but the pics attached should be pretty close to what we'll go with. Some basics:

Dimensions: 11' x 24' (about 20' of usable pool after subtracting the small "step in" ledge.
Depths: 3.5' to 4.5'
Spa: 7' x 7'
Water features: (3) water and fire bowls - considering either concrete (Republic Fire Bowls maybe) or copper Bobe (expensive); and (1) sheer descent.
Plaster: probably going with Pebble Sheen Tier 1
Raised walls: total of 27' of 18" raised walls faced with stone
Columns: (3) 24" x 18" and (1) 24" x 12" columns faced with stone
Tile: 6" x 6" waterline, trim tile on steps
Coping: bullnose travertine for pool/spa

Equipment: not finalized yet... would love feedback on the early proposals, but definitely going with SWCG system.

PDF's of the two bids I've gotten so far (pretty far apart in pricing) included as well, with PB and personal info redacted. Quote 1 is $76,500 and Quote 2 is $58,000. Comparison pdf attached as well (might make it easier to compare). In process of getting two more bids, but it's exhausting!

Question on drains: should I consider "channel" drains versus the standard?

And I'm sure I'll have lots of questions later too :)

Attachments

• Design 1.jpg
    Design 1.jpg
    617.2 KB · Views: 67
  • Design 1a.jpg
    Design 1a.jpg
    396.1 KB · Views: 68
  • Design 1b.jpg
    Design 1b.jpg
    431.9 KB · Views: 63
  • Design 2.jpg
    Design 2.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 65
  • Quote 1_Redacted.pdf
    279.6 KB · Views: 24
  • Quote 2_Redacted.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 16
  • Pool Bid Compare v1.pdf
    117.3 KB · Views: 21
Pool is primarily for my wife and I to lounge in. Will occasionally have friends over or adult children with grandkids at times. I've been told that even going to 6ft wouldn't really impact the water temp. Still considering adjusting the depth profile to 4ft shallow to 5ft deep end, versus current 3.5ft to 4.5ft. Would welcome any comments on this!

I'd go with a deeper shallow end to deep end. But that's just me. I do not want to walk into a pool that just hits me at the waist or lower. Maybe I'm just used to my 54" wall on my above ground pool.

Here in hot humid Georgia 6' does hold cooler water down in the lower end. It always feels refreshing when the rest of the pool is swampy. Then we get active and it all gets mixed up...<sigh>.

Maddie :flower:
We will have a fair amount of shade on the pool in the morning and late afternoon/early evening hours that I'm hoping will help keep the temp down a little. I think I'm going to have the PB try and set up the equipment and pad so that if we want to add a chiller later we can without too much hassle.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.