Hotspot FPH, very similiar use case as Drglanton

You can have the pool and spa share equipment where only one can use the pump at a time or you can have dual equipment that is operated independently.

It depends on how you want to operate.
ok, my current setup, once installed, is for a single pump for both pieces of equipment. My concern at this point is if we are in Spa mode what happens if the FPH calls for flow to the heat exchanger so it can be dumped to the pool with our planned setup of the solar circuit being triggered by the FPH? Would the intellicenter just ignore the FPH call for Solar?

ok, my current setup, once installed, is for a single pump for both pieces of equipment. My concern at this point is if we are in Spa mode what happens if the FPH calls for flow to the heat exchanger so it can be dumped to the pool with our planned setup of the solar circuit being triggered by the FPH? Would the intellicenter just ignore the FPH call for Solar?
I'm not sure. You're going to have to go through the manual to see what happens in various cases.

What would you want to happen?

Do you want it to ignore the call for heat or switch to pool mode?

If you want it to ignore the call for heat, you should put a flow switch on the fph to prevent it from coming on.

If you want the fph to always be able to call for heat but you don't want to disturb spa mode, you might want to use a separate circulation pump just for the fph.

I will see what I can find out.

Part of the problem with Pentair automation is that it doesn't give you good control outside their standard use cases.

Last edited:
I'm not sure. You're going to have to go through the manual to see what happens in various cases.

What would you want to happen?

Do you want it to ignore the call for heat or switch to pool mode?

If you want it to ignore the call for heat, you should put a flow switch on the fph to prevent it from coming on.

If you want the fph to always be able to call for heat but you don't want to disturb spa mode, you might want to use a separate circulation pump just for the fph.

I will see what I can find out.

Part of the problem with Pentair automation is that it doesn't give you good control outside their standard use cases.
Thank you so much for your response James. I think if I had my druthers, I'd want it to ignore the call for heat because if the spa is running it's because I'm in it!
I think with that stipulation, I'd also like the fph to always be able to call for heat if it's needed. I'm high maintenance, I know.
My size fph will need 45 gpm through the heat exchanger when it calls to run. It appears I can get a less than 1hp Pentair single speed pump for under $300 on the Amazon.
I'm thinking I may just act as though I've got the additional few hundred to burn and in this way it avoids the solar setup and is essentially a straight use case as described in the fph installation manual. If I do this, there would have to be a way for this pump to be plumbed "in front" of the valve that closes when in spa operation so it's grabbing pool water and not heated spa water, correct? I'm not sure how to set up the plumbing on this but I'd think that the plumbing dudes, if all the equipment is here and available at time of piping, could arrange it so it's correct would you think?
ETA: would there be any advantage to using a boost pump rather than full pool pump, such as is advertised as for use with a suction side cleaner or similar?

A separate pump would conflict with the main pump when the main pump is in Pool mode unless you pulled water from the return while the main pump was on, but you would need a separate return line and it wouldn't work in Spa mode.

In Spa mode, the pump could pull from the pool suction and return to the pool return.

For a separate pump, you might have to use a separate suction and return.

You could tie into the main drain line for suction and just keep the main drain valve to the main pump closed or use a separate set of main drains.

The water would be unfiltered. So, that might be a problem if the fph is easily clogged by debris.

You could use a separate filter.

You could use separate systems for the pool and spa, which might be the best option.

Are you going to have any other heaters besides the fph?

Last edited:
A separate pump would conflict with the main pump when the main pump is in Pool mode unless you pulled water from the return while the main pump was on, but you would need a separate return line and it wouldn't work in Spa mode.

In Spa mode, the pump could pull from the pool suction and return to the pool return.

For a separate pump, you might have to use a separate suction and return.

You could tie into the main drain line for suction and just keep the main drain valve to the main pump closed or use a separate set of main drains.

The water would be unfiltered. So, that might be a problem if the fph is easily clogged by debris.

You could use a separate filter.

You could use separate systems for the pool and spa, which might be the best option.

Are you going to have any other heaters besides the fph?
Yes, there will be a ng pentair heater for the spa

I am thinking of the flow. What is the flow of the plumbing? Here is mine .

Pool = Pump = Filter = HotSpot = Salt = Pool
or
Pool = Pump = Filter = DIVERTER VALVE = Heater = Salt = Pool
DIVERTER VALVE = Salt = Pool

Thank you guys for all the help. So far the hardest part to find is the pump out flow resistor. Any ideas where to find it ? Also a few of you installed a flow sensor cutoff. Which flow sensor to use ? How did you install it and where does it connect to the FPH controller ?

JamesW,
I've never owned a pool before so thank you for all the assistance you are providing so freely. I've thought myself into another question/concern. Am I correct that in a system such as mine, the single Variable speed Intelliflo pump will run filtration for the pool, and when selected on the intellicenter will close intellivalves to exclude the pool and provide flow for the spa, along with a blower that throws the bubbles into the spa?
If the above scenario is true, what happens if the Hotspot calls for flow for the heat exchanger because the A/C is running and the pool is below desired temperature? For that matter, will the temp sensor even be getting flow if we are in Spa mode? I would think no?
I now have a dig date from the pool builder. rains a few weeks ago put things behind and rather than start this month as planned, our promised dig date is June 12.
The PB has promised to work with me for whatever piping is needed for the hotspot but all integration and planning is on my head as it's not thier system, which is understandable.
I am also in NE Florida (Fernandina). What A/C vendor did your install? Thanks for your help

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.