Hot climates chime in.. how much CYA do you lose?

Don’t forget about your small leak. You are constantly exchanging water due to that. I had a small leak last year and was losing CYA like crazy. Since the leak has been repaired it is much more stable. My pool is in the low 90’s this time of year and it degrades some, but like you I have been adding pucks just supplement the CYA and just to make sure the FC stays on the high range. They also have the added benefit of keeping my pH in line.

While I am traveling for 3 days during the week, 2 pucks in the Solar Breeze seems to do it. I should probably invest the $10 and get a real floater so that I can adjust how much to open the dials. At that high temperature my pucks seem to dissolve very quickly.

Reactions: djdonte
That was another part of my question.. how much the leak was affecting me. To fix the leak I have to replace the 25 dollar injection tee the rainbow 320 sits on. Was hoping to let it ride until next year since I’ll be hacking all that up for a salt cell anyway. Summer is almost over, but I still haven’t decided what to do. It is really a slow drip, and I haven’t really lost CYA at all, or really had to refill until it got hot. We did have a lot of rain earlier this year though.

I am almost out of tabs, and I want to save some for vacations, so I will most likely buy powdered CYA on amazon. I hear it doesn’t dissolve well though. Also the trichlor tabs have stopped me having to ever mess with the PH like you were saying.

Looked at my water temp today, 95. Felt like a bath. This heat here this weekend is warming everything up. I'll tell you a story that kinda perplexes me but is relevant. We've been on a few 5-14 day vacations since the end of June and have had to use pucks to mantain chlorine while away. I've kept my CYA at 40 and do not doubt my testing. Over the course of the last 5-6 weeks, I've used 16 pucks. At roughly 2 ppm per puck, that should've added 32 ppm of CYA. I was expecting a reading of 70 when I tested today, but all I got was 50. We've not had any rain practically all summer and splashing is minimal. I really have to believe the water temp + all day sun is deteriorating the CYA.

I see very little CYA loss in the summer time in the Houston area. If it does go down, it seems to be because I left the hose running while refilling and changed the water mix. My CYA went to almost nothing over the winter months, so I used leftover pucks in March to bring it up to 50ish. I am using anywhere from 2 to 4 quarts of CL per day, with my highest daily chlorine losses coming back in early July. It has tapered off a bit toward late July and August.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.