Hope Nobody Does This

wireform

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
TFP Guide
In The Industry
Aug 15, 2017
Spring Valley, NY
Some people love to show off tools but there's a place and time for everything, this is plain stupidity. The nut which is brass for a good reason will be stripped in short order as it's the weakest link to the whole assembly. They purposely put brass there so if you cross thread or over tighten it would strip and be the cheapest part in the assembly to replace. Don't ever use power tools on this period.
Login • Instagram

Yup. Dumb. And it will most likely not fully seal. When sealing up large diameter bodies with an o-ring and band clamp, you have to do it steps and tap the clamp with a rubber mallet to ensure that the forces are being evenly distributed. Pressure vessels are tricky to work with and even harder when they have large waists like pool filters. Very easy to not get a good seal.

And yes, never use a power tool. The likelihood of stripping that nut goes way up.

I do this, even went and bought a deep socket 22mm or whatever 3/4" impact wrench nascar pit crew socket for this very purpose. According to the sticker on the filter housing itself you're supposed to tighten it down until the spring touches itself. What are you supposed to do? Get carpal tunnel every time you clean your filters by using an end wench?

Reactions: A.O. and Pool_Medic
Use a ratchet and socket. Then tighten a few turns, smack around the band with a rubber mallet. Tighten, smack. Rinse and repeat until the spring coils touch. I have stripped out way too many fasteners using impact drivers. They have their place but this is not one of them. I'm not willing to save 30 seconds on a 1 minute job for the chance my pool circ system may have to be down for several days while I wait on parts.

--Jeff

Reactions: TexEdmond
+1. As much as I like to get my inner Tim-the toolman-Taylor on, Not with a plastic housing. That band has to slowly line up and be shifted a few times.

The A-10 Warthog BRRrRRRRrrRRRrrrRRT of the impact gun is a tad much.

• Sad
Reactions: TexEdmond
The T-bolt on the band clamp is spot welded into place, it is not replaceable. Accidentally strip the T-bolt threads and you have to replace the entire band clamp. It’s not a cheap part and you’ll lose the use of your filter while you wait for it. The machined brass nut is more likely to be stripped using an impact driver and only costs about $15 to replace but do you really want to risk that???

Thanks all for helping me understand the risk I was putting myself and my equipment in.

Use a ratchet and socket. Then tighten a few turns, smack around the band with a rubber mallet.

I'm seeing a TFP video as a PSA style instruction with a parody song of Cardi B's W.A.P. playing in the background...

"Get a rachet and a socket, then you WHOCK WHOCK WHOCK it... Crank it til the coils touch, that's how you know it's tight enough."

Thanks all for helping me understand the risk I was putting myself and my equipment in
Like anything else it’s a calculated risk. I know full well from both private and public chats that you are far above the average handiness for DIY stuffs. I trust your gut if you’re doing it and making the call, no question. We just can’t recommend the average reader to go buck wild with 1275 ft pounds of torque (?) from the impact driver.

Reactions: Zmann

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What are you supposed to do? Get carpal tunnel every time you clean your filters by using an end wench?
I cleaned my filter yesterday, and did use a wench. Well, actually my wife. She helps me get the clamp on and taps with the mallet while I tighten the clamp (by hand). No risk of carpal tunnel since we only need to do this once a year.

That makes sense. I bought the impact wrench for road trips to change truck and trailer tires. This operation is a little more nuanced.

Another good song to listen to whilst performing this maintenance? "Tubthumping" by Chumbawumba.

even harder when they have large waists like pool filters.
Large waists like this pool owner during COVID... HEY-YOOOOHHHHH!

go buck wild with 1275 ft pounds of torque (?) from the impact driver.

man taylor GIF

defense missiles GIF

• Love
Reactions: Newdude
and did use a wench. Well, actually my wife.

I GET IT! Took me a minute.

Thumpeth thine filter canister, wench! (And while you're at it would you prettyplease make me one of those roasted mutton sandwiches with a flagon of ale?)

They could've made the long nut out of stainless steel and be good on it being out in the elements but then somebody over tightening it can have a catastrophe when the screw strips out then needing the whole band assembly. The brass is there as what's called "the weakest link" so if one cross threads or over does it while snugging it up it'll be the cheapest part to replace. While it is designed to to compress the spring and hold but it won't tolerate gunning it with an impact past its designed strength sort of like what a circuit breaker is designed for.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.