Home Warranty - Spa Jet Pump

The new motor is smaller than the old motor. It's significantly underpowered. It is not correct. The total hp of the old motor was 3.45.

There is a missing connector that should screw into the pump for the liquidtite flexible conduit.

The bond wire was not connected.

The job needs to be redone correctly.

Note that the California law pertains to the filtration pump. This is a jet pump.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ukiwis and mknauss
He actually got a bit testy with me when I questioned him,,,,"I have 15 years in the business blah blah....do what you want"
Tell them to send out the guy with 16 years experience, because apparently, 15 isn't enough. These are rookie mistakes.

What is the model number of the pump from the front sticker?

Reactions: mguzzy and Jimrahbe
Unfortunately, this is all I have...
@JamesW was asking for the pump where they replaced the motor.

So yeah, They should have to replaced the pump motor with a motor of similar specs. They put a smaller motor on the same pump. With the information from that pump we can figure out what range of motors should work with it.

Edit: OK.. that is a pic of the old pump and motor.. I was expecting to see the new black one on there...never mind

Last edited:
Reactions: Ukiwis
Unfortunately that's the best I have of that sticker.

I also have a couple of other pics of other labels and I think this relates to the same pump.....not sure if this helps or not as the PN piece of it is obscured.

1570467636448.png

The sticker is still on the pump, right?

Can you get a good picture of the sticker?

Does it say WFE-12?

What is the model number of the impeller that they installed?

If the sticker says WFE-12 and the new impeller is the same as the old impeller, then the motor is too small.

If they downsized the impeller, they didn't ask you if they could do that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Most technicians get better and better with experience. After 15 years they're superb! Sadly there are a few repeat the first year over and over 15 times. Your guy is the latter. Fire him, and explain to the company why. Sloppy wire connection that wouldn't pass any inspection plus it's dangerous, no bonding wire, and he can't even seem to figure out how to get the right motor. All it takes is a photo of the plate given to the motor supplier. This tech needs to find a new job!

Sorry you're dealing with this.

Chris

Believe it or not I'm still going back and forth on this with the pool service Co and the Home Warranty Co.

The safety issues have been addressed but the Pool Company is adamant that the motor they installed is the correct replacement. They're claiming that is is an "up-rated" motor.

Pentair have told me that the motor needs to be a 3HP motor and when I asked if it could be replaced with a 2.25HP motor and some other modifications they responded that it must be a 3HP motor. Information I have gathered online indicates that the B2844 motor is the replacement:

Instead, they installed a B849..
1571261493509.png

Armed with the info from Pentair and my own research I've asked for proof that the B849 motor is indeed the correct replacement for the 8-177453-03 but so far I've received no response.

It is not the correct motor. You have a 3HP wet head so a 2.25HP motor is going to be stressed. You need a 3HP motor, minimum, - that could either be a motor of 3HP with a SF of 1.0 or a motor of 2.0HP with a SF of 1.5. Not a 1.5HP motor with a SF of 1.5 (2.25HP total).

They installed and undersized motor which will burn out prematurely.

Last edited:
The WFE-12 is a 3 hp pump with a service factor of 1.15 which gives a total hp of 3.45. The total hp is also called the SFHP (Service Factor Horsepower).

The replacement motor is a Full Rated motor and not an Uprated motor. The fact that they don't know the difference is a good indication that they don't know what they're talking about.

In any case, what matters when replacing the motor is the total HP also known as the SFHP.

The total hp is the rated hp x the service factor. Most new motors now come with a sticker that shows the total hp because that's all that matters.

In fact, my opinion is that the motor should only show the total hp and not a rated hp or service factor.

The old motor had a total hp of 3.45. The new motor has a total hp of 2.25.

The new motor is definitely too small.

Go to the below page, scroll down to Specifications and look at the WFE-12 where it shows the rated hp, the service factor and the SFHP.

Last edited:
Note that the terms "Full Rated" and "Up Rated" are basically meaningless.

A Full Rated motor has a higher service factor than an Up Rated motor, but there's no definitive definition of either term.

A full Rated motor usually has a service factor above 1.1 and below 2.0.

An Up Rated (also known as max-rated) motor usually has a service factor of about 1.0 to 1.1.

In any case, all that matters is the total hp.

For example, a Full rated motor with a rated hp of 1.0 and a service factor of 1.65 is the exact same motor as an up-rated motor with a rated hp of 1.5 and a service factor of 1.1.

It's pointless and confusing to sell two identical motors as if there was some important difference.

Last edited:
Backed up with the information provided on the TFP forum and supported by emails from Pentair, I went back to the pool service Company. I suggested that they'd made a mistake. I said I was OK with that, as we all make mistakes, but I wanted them to correct it and install the correct motor. I documented what had been taken away by providing the picture of the name plate and pointed to my online research that showed the correct replacement motor was the B2844.

Today, they came back and installed the correct motor.
1572474457167.png

This is a win for the little guy!
Many thanks to the TFP forum.

Cool. Glad that it was finally done correctly. Good job on persevering in getting it resolved.

Thanks for the update.

:goodjob:

Note that the new motor amps now match the original motor amps, which is what you would expect for the correct motor.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.