Hole on my pool, and rust. Fixable ?

May 22, 2017
Quebec
Hi, my pool is leaking from a 1" hole on the wall, and the liner is also perforated at this same spot. There's a rust spot on the wall. (See pictures). My pool is 24 feet, round. From 2008.

1) Is it fixable ?

2) what would be the steps ?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20170520_161609.jpg
    20170520_161609.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 141
  • 20170520_161649.jpg
    20170520_161649.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 141
Thank you. I don't want to invest too much. I plan on changing my pool next summer (and make it smaller).

with that being the case. Pull the liner back from that spot clean it with some sandpaper and give it a shot of paint. Then put a few layers of duct tape or something for some cushion from the rust edges. Then patch the hole in the liner and you should be good to go.

It's going to be worse from the inside. Pull back the liner, scrape aware any rust and than post pictures.
Even though you are replacing it next year you don't want to risk a blow out.

Exactly

That could be really really bad on the inside. IF it is rusted badly enough on the inside, you could be risking a serious blowout. I actually happend to my brother one year. His return was leacking, and he never fixed it. It looked OK from the outside, but insde the rust was working its magic. It blew out the side of his pool while a bunch of kids were in it.

It is is really bad under the liner, you *could* patch it, by cleaning up the spot, priming the rusted areas, and then bridging the hole with a peice of aluminum. Cover the polt heads with foam and put the liner back, that should get you through a season.

Removing the liner would basically mean that I change the whole liner (unlikely to fit back), which I would have preferred avoiding to be honest.

No,it doesn't. Drain the pool below the spot and pull the liner back in the section to be worked on.Use a shop vac to remove any rust you accumulate. Patch the wall and rehang the liner. Fill the pool.

Removing the liner would basically mean that I change the whole liner (unlikely to fit back), which I would have preferred avoiding to be honest.

You only have to drain the pool down to a point where you can work on the rust. Let's put it this way, if the interior is so rusted that you would have to drain the pool to a point where you would have to replace the liner, then you really should be considering just giving up on the pool.

-dave

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.