Hissing after burst sound then elevated PSI

Eric K.

Bronze Supporter
Apr 18, 2016
Hilo, HI
Yesterday I noticed significantly less volume of water returning to pool from waterfall, checked pump and there was a hissing sound and filter PSI at 30 (instead of normal 20). Water flow was at 60 gpm instead of normal 80 gpm. Turned it off and backwashed it. No hissing sound. Re-set to Filter and it was fine (I think).

Today, same thing. This time, when I backwashed, there was water returning to pool from waterfall while backwashing. Not much, but still... This time, when I re-set to Filter, it was a minute into priming and doing OK when I hear a burst like when a bicycle tire punctures, and then the hissing and elevated PSI. I turned off. Try again, and this time I get the burst after a few seconds, then hissing, etc. No water leaks. It's off until I figure out what this is.

I cannot tell if the burst and hissing is coming from the pump or the multiport valve (Hayward Vari-Flo SP0715X62).

I don't know if This is related or not: Last week I swapped out the pressure gauges (1 on the valve, 1 on the sand filter). They were over 7 or 8 years and seemed inaccurate. Replacements were Haywards.

Does anyone know what this is, and how to fix it?? Thanks!

The multiport valve is part of your problem. First find that air sound. Start with those gauges, turn the pump on and put your ear next to the two you changed out. You will only hear air while you turn on the pump, and maybe a sucking sound just after you turn it off.

Follow your backwash line from the multiport valve down to the ground. Look for a little metal fitting sticking out of the back wash pvc piping. Its the one on the multiport valve that does not go to the pump, or back to the pool. Look for water around that spot, on the equipment pad.

Nothing?

Start the pump with you ear to the multiport valve lid. listen for that air sound. Turn the pump off then listen. Nothing? let me know

While you are doing this look for water spitting out of lids etc.

Your last line hit it on the mark. On one inspection I noticed water spitting out of the basket lid when turning off the pump, or maybe it was from the fitting on that side, but the fitting was a little loose. I hand tightened it, inspected the o-ring on the lid, and turned on the pump. No more bursts or hissing, and all is running normal now. I guess over the years the fitting had loosened. It needed maybe an 1/8 turn to tighten.

I did backwash it after, and no longer was water returning to the pool. I donʻt know the connection of loose fitting and water returning to the pool. The spider gasket is at least 8 years old.

Thanks for your help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.