Fletcher, OH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Howdy folks! My TA has always run on the high side but never out of range. After a recent SLAM to get rid of some black gunk that was accumulating in the skimmers, it is 100-110. Should I keep adding acid to lower the pH and aerate to get it down, or will it drift down on its own?

It will drift down on it's own. It may take some time but you are fine just to let it seek a lower level Curious......did you identify the black Gunk? Did SLAM get rid of it?
I actuslly just posted a bit ago on that. Yes - the SLAM totally eliminated it. It was driving me NUTS and I finally just slammed it just to see if it would go away - and it did. That must mean it was organic, no? I've seen a bunch of theories around here as to what it is but nothing conclusive. I did use Polyquat on closing and RV antifreeze to winterize so my original thought was that perhaps it was that stuff oxidizing since I didn't have it at all last year (first saeson)season, but now I'm not so sure.

Reactions: Snoobug
Hey Wes, this is 3 that I can think of with new autocovers. I forget the 3rd but @Snoobug is the other.
So strange. Makes you wonder if they get something organic on them during the manufacturing or warehousing process - another week gas passed and my tennis balls in the skimmers still look brand new.

Reactions: Newdude
I wonder if my skimmer sock slows the flow and that's why it happens... when I go to go to replace my skimmer sock, I take the old one and use the outside of it to wipe the skimmer line.

I wonder if my skimmer sock slows the flow and that's why it happens... when I go to go to replace my skimmer sock, I take the old one and use the outside of it to wipe the skimmer line.
Could be. How are pump speeds set up? Mine is 24x7 at 1200rpm and bumps to 2400 to skim every 3 hours during the day. I will say that it hasn't come back since the SLAM and pump speeds have been the same.

Did you use Polyquat when you closed the pool?

Could be. How are pump speeds set up? Mine is 24x7 at 1200rpm and bumps to 2400 to skim every 3 hours during the day. I will say that it hasn't come back since the SLAM and pump speeds have been the same.

Did you use Polyquat when you closed the pool?
Mine is 24/7 at 2300... I don't believe polyquat was used. Our pool company closed our pool.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.