High Pressure on Hayward XStream Cartridge Filter

ogbill

May 2, 2016
OTTAWA, Canada
My normal clean cartridge filter pressure is ~ 12.5 psi. After about 1.5 months it crept up to ~ 17 psi and I stopped filtration and cleaned it (All normal). After reinstalling and starting up it fairly quickly went up to 18 psi. I checked everything I could in return system, including my salt chlorinator( Zodiac) which was plugged up - stopped and cleaned it out with muriatic acid, replaced and still filter is 18 -18.5 psi. I also drained the filter again to see if there was something in there causing it, or maybe it wasn't seated right. No luck! it's now about 19.5 psi. The manual air relief valve also ejects water at a very low rate. Any suggestions?

What does your water look like?
Does the gauge actually go to 0 when the pump is off?
What is the pressure reading if you do not reinstall the cartridge?

Air relief valve is on the high pressure side of the cartridge, so if the pressure was really that high, I would expect the water to be shooting out (unless it is clogged up also).

Thanks for response. My water is crystal clear. Yes gauge goes to zero with pump off. I haven't tried it without the cartridge; would the pressure reading in that mode prove something? I am also puzzled as to why the water stream through the relief valve is so low at higher pressure.

It would confirm whether it is your cartridge that is causing the high pressure. Also compare the flow entering your pool with and without the cartridge installed.

Clean out the air relief while you have the cover off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.