Dec 20, 2017
Fort Worth TX
How can I keep my Ph in normal range? I can put 15 oz of MA in the pool everyday but the Ph still climbs back up.

We have a huge waterfall, a bubbler, and the spillway from the spa. I know aeration increases the Ph. Is it possible to keep the Ph down even with these water features?

6a226865bf435b31819bae4414b27bfa.png

12,000 gl - IG - plaster - cartridge - SWG
Taylor K-2006 & K-1766

I do know the salt cell will cause your PH to go up as it generates chlorine. I have to add Muratic acid to mine weekly to keep it in check. I think the aeration coupled with the salt cell is what is driving it up so fast. As far as keeping it down even with those features that is hard to say.

What size pool is your salt cell rated for just out of curiosity.

40k gallons I think. It’s a Jandy PLC1400.

Taylor K-2006 & K-1766

I am surprised that your FC is that low with that big a cell for your size pool. are you running the cell at a high enough percentage or long enough to account for daily chlorine loss? Just out of curiosity aside from the PH question.

It runs for 8 hours at 75% - it has been 105-110 degrees here everyday this past week.

Taylor K-2006 & K-1766

I am 99% sure you aren't running it long enough.

see SWG Run Time Calculator

The chlorine output of that cell is 1.25 lb a day And if your demand is as high as mine in Bedford you might need to run it longer to account for daily chlorine demand

I run mine 12 hours a day at 80% output. Mine produces .93 lb a day.

Just as an example I just tested my FC at 9:50 PM and it was 4PPM still and the pump shut off at 7:00 PM.

You can see your 24 hr chlorine demand by getting your chlorine to a exact level in the morning then leave the generator off for the day and check your chlorine level the next day at the exact same time. This will give you your 24hr FC Demand which that spreadsheet needs to calculate how long you need to run your pump and at what percentage your generator needs to be set at.

Unless you are adding bleach in the pool pH rise from swg is going to be the same as the swg will run the same amount during the day unless you are shorting yourself clorine or making too much. Lower the pump overall runtime and keep the swg runtime the same to lower the waterfall pH climb

I've got three small waterfalls and a pool fountain that I'm running to cool the water in the summer. PH was rising a lot...expected due to the aeration. I lowered my TA to 60, added borates and the PH rise is a good bit slower. Extra liquid chlorine to keep your FC up in this Texas heat!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think it also depends on the age of the cell. Before this heat wave I was running mine at 40% for 12 hours a day in Houston. I bumped it up to 50% and I’m almost holding steady at 5 ppm. My pool does get full afternoon sun too.

I am 99% sure you aren't running it long enough.

see SWG Run Time Calculator

The chlorine output of that cell is 1.25 lb a day And if your demand is as high as mine in Bedford you might need to run it longer to account for daily chlorine demand

I run mine 12 hours a day at 80% output. Mine produces .93 lb a day.

Just as an example I just tested my FC at 9:50 PM and it was 4PPM still and the pump shut off at 7:00 PM.

You can see your 24 hr chlorine demand by getting your chlorine to a exact level in the morning then leave the generator off for the day and check your chlorine level the next day at the exact same time. This will give you your 24hr FC Demand which that spreadsheet needs to calculate how long you need to run your pump and at what percentage your generator needs to be set at.

Thank you for all the feedback! Maybe I’ll need to look into adding borates...

Our pool equipment is all new, we finished just before Christmas 2017 and we have tons of white spots on the plaster. Do you think this could be driving up the Ph somehow?

(My only other post on here was about our crappy plaster job. We’re still fighting with the pool builder to fix it.)

Taylor K-2006 & K-1766

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.