High CYA- possible algae

Aug 15, 2017
Covington/LA
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Had low cya for a while and cloudy pool- not Green and no real visible algae.
Started slamming pool on Saturday. Pool is now clearing up but I still think there is some algae somewhere, but I'm not sure how to get rid of it, if it is in there. Any advice on that?
CYA is at 50. Drained some water out of the pool and have been slamming but the CYA has not gone down at all. I have been using liquid bleach, and a lot of it. FC has been staying very high. Well above 20, has even gone up to 41 at one point. I work during the day until about 4 so I have been bringing up the FC pretty high before I leave (to around 38.5) so it has some room to drop if it's going to since I won't be home to add any bleach. Is this ok that it is going so high? Are there any other tips, y'all can give me? Or any other questions, I'm sure I'm missing something!!
thank you!!
[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=.SFUIText]
[/FONT]

Can you please post a full set of test results-
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

If you're adding extra bleach in the morning (more than necessary) you'll lose more also. You can go up a few ppm, but too much extra is just a sacrifice to the sun gods. I understand your reasoning, but sadly, it just doesn't work that way.

If you can dose it in the morning before work, then immediately on return home and then every hour or two until bedtime, you'll manage ok. It may take a bit longer but it will work.

Check any ladders, toys in the pool or other hiding spots for small algae farms. A crease in the liner can hide some.... make sure you brush daily!!

Maddie :flower:

I will be home around 4:00 and can post the test results then. Since my FC has been pretty high, do I need to let t drop to 20-24 and try to hold it right at that in order for the slam to work? Or is it ok that it's high, regardless if the sun will burn it off or not?

CC- Between 1 & 1.5 Since Saturday (When started slamming)
FC- 34 (Today 6:30am) Added four gallons of liquid bleach 10% before work
FC- 26.5 (Today 5:35pm)
PH- 7.5
TA- 180
CH- 230
CYA- 50

Everything has been taken out of the pool, steps, etc. and cleaned with bleach and have not been put back in yet. We have been running the Aquabot Cleaning Robot and have been cleaning the bags we use and the robot itself. Have also been cleaning the skimmer basket and the skimmer socks with bleach.

The only other thing that is on the pool is a solar cover, which has been on when we poured the bleach in, so by now anything that was on it should have been sanitized off of it, is this correct?

There are no leaves or debris of any kind in the pool.

Thank you in advance for any help.
Let us know if there are any other questions.:sun:

Well, it looks like you have a handle on this pretty well. Just follow the Chlorine/CYA chart [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. You're over your SLAM level (which is 20 for a CYA of 50) but better being over than under, huh?!

Keep on keeping on.... How's the water look?

Maddie :flower:

Water was cloudy at first but is pretty much crystal clear now. We feel like we've hit a wall and are having a hard time knowing what to do, or when to stop.. The only rules we know how to follow are the CC below 1 and not losing more than 1ppm overnight. Are there other things we need to be doing? How much longer will the slamming process take? Since my CYA has been well over 20 for a while, do I NEED to bring it down to 20 and work on keeping it there? Or is it ok that I'm keeping it high? I'm just not sure what questions I need to ask, and what I really need to be doing.

You are done when:
CC is 0.5 or lower;
You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
And the water is clear.
When all three are true, you are done SLAMing and can allow the FC to drift down to normal levels.

Your current issue is that your CC is still over 0.5, is that correct?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Cya is down to 40! Progress is being made!:)
i do have a couple more questions though.
1- Why do y'all recommend liquid or granular stabilizer rather than using the pucks?
2- what do y'all recommend I keep my stabilizer at, living in Louisiana?

thanks for everyone's help!!

1. If you want to slightly raise CYA it's fine. If you are going from 0->30 it would take too long.

2. 40-50 is a pretty good Louisiana number IMO.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.