High CYA? Better CYA Test?

joshscott84

Apr 21, 2020
Tampa Bay
Hi,

New pool owner and new TFP member.

I went ahead and bought the Taylor-K2006c test kit. I have tested my water 3 days in a row before posting as to make sure I had a solid set of number. From the test results it appears the majority of my numbers are close to being in range with exception to CYA. Also have read that I'm going to need to drain the pool to get the CYA out. My question is, is there a better more precise manner to measure CYA than the test with the k2006c kit. The black dot test seems very imprecise. When using the black dot test, I am not longer able to see the dot about half way before the first marking of 100ppm. Based on the lack of marking I would guess the CYA between 200 and 300ppm. That just sounds absolutely crazy to me and I feel like I need a better test. See pic below for CYA test

Thoughts?

Region: Tampa Bay Florida
Pool Location: Outdoor pool
Has pool enclosure
Temp: 78*F
PH: 7.2
TA: 70ppm
FC: 3.5ppm
CC: .5ppm
CH: 250ppm
CYA: 200-300ppm guestimate

Attachments

• IMG_20200430_154503.png
    IMG_20200430_154503.png
    216.9 KB · Views: 45
I’m sitting in the turkey blind with my kid but how did you get 165? You could dilute in half again and times 4. In pool school or pool math it will tell you how much to drain.

I’m not one of the experts here but I have listened to them for the last four or five years and have never had a problem. Last year I spent less the 200 bucks on chemicals. I opened last weekend to a clear pool and after 4 bags of salt and 4 pounds of cya I had leftover from last year, and a gallon of bleach I am up and running. After hand vacuuming and scrubbing and running the bot a few times, it is back to crystal clear...now just need the sun to warm it up.

Last edited:
I struck out this spring turkey season. Hope to get out there during fall turkey. Good luck to you and your kid

Filled the mixing bottle to the lower mark with pool water. Then continued filling the mixing bottle to the upper mark with tap water. Shook briefly to mix then poured off half, so it was again filled to the lower mark. Then filled to the upper 14 ml mark with R-0013. Capped and then shook the mixing bottle for 30 seconds give or take. With back to the sun, held the view tube about waist level and slowly poured the mixture from the mixing bottle into the view tube. Poured until the black dot at the bottom of the view tube completely disappeared. Result was between 80 and 90 mark. I took 85 as the result and multiplied by 2 to reach 170. Meant to put 170 not 165 just realized that.

Found out the previous owner used a local "pool guy" that lived in the neighborhood. I have a reinforced backwash hose being delivered Sunday. Expecting to have to drain this thing majorly. Need to call the city and find out about cost to refill, etc.

Last edited:
The previous owner either used trichlor pucks religiously or used a pool service. Your water has way too much CYA in it which is going to reduce the level of active chlorine below a concentration that’s effective. You’ve inherited a pool that’s chemically imbalanced, it’s pretty common. You’ll have to drain 2/3rds to 3/4ths of the pool to get it back to a reasonable level. Be careful draining a pool as you can easily float it out of the ground if the water table is high.

Reactions: markayash
Sorry I misunderstood, thought the dilution registered 165.

I got one last Thursday at 12:50 (we close at 1pm). Twenty four pound three year old, not to bad by Missouri standards. Been a really tough year though...still have next week. I actually kill more in the fall as we get two shotgun and two bow tags. Only 2 spring tags.
Really hoping to get to Clearwater this year, our girls love it!

Be careful draining a pool as you can easily float it out of the ground if the water table is high.

This concerns me. Honestly I don't know much about this pool. Using online volume calculators give me an estimate of about 6k gallons with the spa. Walls are plaster I believe. We are located in Tampa bay FL and about 1 mile from the Gulf as the crow flies.

I'm trying to think of ways to complete a drain and refill while not actually emptying the pool. Would it make sense to say drain 1/3 then refill and repeat 2 or 3 more times. My thinking here is that each 1/3 drain refill would further dilute the CYA until almost all the water has been exchanged.

Attachments

• IMG_20200501_124942.png
    IMG_20200501_124942.png
    796 KB · Views: 51

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This concerns me. Honestly I don't know much about this pool. Using online volume calculators give me an estimate of about 6k gallons with the spa. Walls are plaster I believe. We are located in Tampa bay FL and about 1 mile from the Gulf as the crow flies.

I'm trying to think of ways to complete a drain and refill while not actually emptying the pool. Would it make sense to say drain 1/3 then refill and repeat 2 or 3 more times. My thinking here is that each 1/3 drain refill would further dilute the CYA until almost all the water has been exchanged.
Yup that’s how people on here have done it in the past, just costs more if you buy water and are not on a well...

Yes you can do a water exchange instead of a drain and refill.. Here is some information from the wiki that outlines the procedure...
Draining - Further Reading
BTW that is a cool looking pool. I like the enclosure

Last edited:
Reactions: IceShadow

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.