High CYA and CH-Consider partially draining pool?

Sarapresh

Jul 8, 2022
Crestview, FL
Good afternoon! This is my first post on TFP. This is only my second summer owning my pool. It was completed in November of 2020. My CYA is currently high. The last water test we got from Ace showed the CYA at 105. Today, using my Taylor K2005 test kit, my results were over 100. Using the diluted CYA test method I found on the TFP Forum my results using the Taylor kit was 160. I honestly have no idea if I done the test correctly. Should I consider partially draining and refilling my pool? Or just let the rain works it's magic. We are currently getting summer thunderstorms almost everyday. I believe the high CYA is from the Chlorine tablets we have been using since the pool was completed. We plan on making the switch to liquid chlorine. I shocked the pool last night so that is the reason for the high chlorine in the test results below. The test results below are from today using my Taylor test kit. In case you are wondering why I shocked my pool, everyone I talked to said you should shock once a week when the water is warm and/or during heavy use. My water is currently 92 degrees. I used Super Shock It 73 we got from Ace. Consider me a newbie in pool ownership. I have been so confused as it seems like everyone I speak too tells me something different. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

FC 10
TC 10
CC 0
PH 7.6
TA 100
CH 450
CYA 160?

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Despite the great Florida rain we are getting, I would still suggest you drain 50% of your water and refill. That'll bring your CYA to 80 which is still at the upper limit but manageable. It will also cut in half your CH which is a good thing.

It seems you haven't yet stopped using the tabs. Pull them out now, They will dry nicely and store indefinitely until you get your CYA under control.

If you have the Taylor k-2005, that's a good kit but you will want to add on the FAS/DPD chlorine test so we can better help you manage your chlorine.

Here's one place you can get it. TFTestkits.net

You can also drop the shocking expense each week. That stuff your using is Calcium Hypochlorite and it is adding Calcium to your pool. What we teach is never letting your pool get to the point where you need to shock it.

From your post, I can tell you have a pretty good grasp of pool water management. You need a little clarification but you will be a pool superstar in no time.

Please be careful......pool superstar can easily lead to pool nerd (like us!) :):)

Thank you so much! And I am A-OK with being a pool nerd! I am so glad I found this site so I can get GOOD information.
Question....and this may be dumb....but do I need to worry about lines left in my plaster during draining and refilling my pool?

but do I need to worry about lines left in my plaster during draining and refilling my pool?
I'm confused. :scratch: Where these lines there before or are you saying they only happened after changing some water? Changing water shouldn't create lines. Maybe post a pic or two if you can?

Oh no, there aren't any lines in my plaster. I just remember the pool contractor being very adamant about us NOT shutting off the water until it reached the tile line when we were first filling the pool because it would cause lines/discoloration in the plaster.

Oh no, there aren't any lines in my plaster. I just remember the pool contractor being very adamant about us NOT shutting off the water until it reached the tile line when we were first filling the pool because it would cause lines/discoloration in the plaster.
Oh, okay. That's a new pool thing for fresh plaster while it cures. :goodjob:

So it is ok to drain the pool then refill the pool? The no drain water exchange seems pretty complicated.

UPDATE: Nevermind! Have decided to do the no drain water exchange. Done my calculations and I should pump from deep end and fill from shallow. Need to figure out GPM in/out and I should be good to go!

Last edited:
Reactions: Texas Splash
Another question....Is it going to be ok to NOT run my pump while I am doing the no drain water exchange? Concerned about he water not circulating. I shocked my pool two days ago (won't do this anymore once I get going on the TFP method) so I have plenty of chlorine in the water.

Is it going to be ok to NOT run my pump while I am doing the no drain water exchange? Concerned about he water not circulating.
Running is probably ideal to ensure water continues to be mixed, but if you have to turn off the pool pump and just use a sump pump to exchange water it's not the worst thing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm not understanding, op is asking if the pump, presumably meaning the filter pump. NO don't run the filter at all during the water exchange, infact shut the circuit breaker off if you can so there isn't any timer that'll by mistake kick it on . No pump run time except for the one expelling the bad water. Make sure you time the input and output close to the same speed and the larger the temp difference between the two waters the better meaning the fresh water in the bottom of the deep if the pool is nice and warm and the fill water is colder by a good bit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.