High combined chlorine

May 12, 2016
Aberdeen, MD
Got the pool topped off, cover off, and pump operational a few days ago. Hit it with a shock of liquid chlorine and again 2 days later.

Starting numbers:

FC: 15.5
CC: 4.5
pH: 8.0+
CYA: 30ish

Should I be concerned about the high CC number? Will the sun do the work for me?

It was steadily rising toward the end if last season (had to use Trichlor tablets due to running out of liquid chlorine). Only thing I put in at closing was algecide.

Been SLAMing for 3-4 days now. CCs dip slightly in my morning test but are higher in the evening, and on the rise!

FC = 16
CC = 5.5
pH = 7.3
Cya = 35

My CC reagent is 2 years old now. Thinking the test may be off...ordering new chemicals to rule that out.

Any reason why this could be happening? It was super sunny the last couple days and I expected the CCs to burn off...and FC level has been kept at shock level

What's your water look like? When adding chlorine, does the shock level drop quickly, within the hour?

- - - Updated - - -

Hit it with a shock of liquid chlorine and again 2 days later.

SLAM'ing the pool needs to be done consistently by not letting the levels drop dramatically for any length of time. Bring it to SLAM Levels and keep it there. You will never bring down the high CCs otherwise. In fact, you're only wasting your chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.