High CH level (800+) for very long time - am I risking something?

crazydive

Bronze Supporter
Jun 18, 2015
San Diego/CA
Hi,

I noticed very high Calcium level in last months and I'm asking myself if I'm risking something playing that game, am I? My current readings are pH: 7.7, TA: 70, CH: 875, CYA: 70, Salt: 3050, Temp: 58 >> CSI: - 0.01 Generally pool was finished about 1.5 year ago. From start CH was slowly raising, and in 2021 for about first half year (low temps) it was around 550, and then during the second part of the year it raised to 800-850. My CSI to never gets out of range of -0.2 - +0.2. Most of the year it is very close to 0.0 with a tendency to be around -0.1

Question is - should I rely on my CSI and keep it as it is? Should I replace water in the pool or keep maintaining CSI and wait till water will start getting warmer and then replace it. If temp will go significantly up my CSI will go to +0.2 and I may risk scaling. I can of course maintain lower pH and higher CYA, but all this is based on CSI. Anything else to consider having high CH for extended period of time?

Thanks

should I rely on my CSI and keep it as it is?
Yes. You understand it perfectly. As the water temps go up, you will need to compensate with a lower pH and/or TA until you reach a point where a water exchange to some degree will be required. It's not uncommon for those in hard water locations to exchange water every couple years or so. But do your best to keep the CSI slightly under zero and you should be fine.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Being at the top range of manageable CH levels, I would exchange water before summer hits and evaporation increases. I've found higher levels of CH result in more evaporative scale around the waterline, regardless of CSI. If you happen to have a whole-home water softener, consider using softened water for topping off the pool. A few of use portable RV water softeners attached to our fill lines to mitigate rising CH.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thank you for confirming my suspicions! All make sense (as usual here :)). I usually play with calculator to see "what if" so I will have to monitor it to see if I'm getting into the danger zone and exchange some water as Mike mentioned, earlier than later. I will definitely look into the water softener option since my CH will be always rising.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.