High CC

Just to confirm, you did you turn off your SWG overnight between the OCLTs? If so, great news. No need to do another OCLT.
I noticed in the swcg manual that I should use a chemical based on Trichloro-s-triazinetrione or sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione dihydrate instead
Trichlor and dichlor each add chlorine to the pool, just as liquid chlorine does. Liquid adds water and salt as a byproduct. The two solid forms of chlorine add CYA (stabilizer). It okay to use trichlor and dichlor if you're also trying to increase CYA level. These chemicals are acidic and will lower pH (which you don't need) and can bleach the vinyl surface. We recommend plain, scentless, non-splashless, liquid chlorine (no additives) to supplement FC levels.

Here's an example of how one trichlor tablet will effect chemistry in your small pool:
1657545811344.png
1) Raise ph.
2) Use SWCG today to get FC up to target and keep it there. (Since there's no chlorine loss, should I still add chlorine at this point? Headed out today to try and find correct product.)
4) Add salt
4) Test CYA and increase to target, if needed.
Increase pH to recommended level before swimming.

When the sun hits the pool, UV will start to burn off FC. This is why you should increase FC to target level (liquid chlorine). Use the SWG to maintain FC. Your goal is set SWG output to match daily FC loss, usually between 2-4 ppm per day. You never want to fall below min level for FC.

Add salt.

Test CYA and work on increasing to (at least) the minimum recommended level for a SWG pool. Your SWG will not have to work as hard as the CYA will reduce FC loss as while your SWG is generating during the day. As you add CYA, also use liquid chlorine to bump FC up to the new target level (FC/CYA Levels). On the chart, make sure you click on the SWG tab on top.

Yes, SWG was off for the night! I'm working on all of this now. Thank you.

Thanks, too, for the explanation about the differences between LC and trichlor and dichlor. So, to confirm, the liquid chlorine won't cause any other kinds of problems with the swg? And, being totally new to LC, I read on another TFP thread that the product should just be sodium hypochlorite and water. So, what's up with the 90% "other ingredients" that I'm seeing in brands like "Pool Essentials"? Is that typical/okay? Or are those the addititives you mentioned that should be avoided? Do I need to keep looking? I'm at target FC for my CYA level right now, but I'll be adding LC when I raise CYA.

The 90% is water. Liquid chlorine's byproducts are salt and water. Chlorine is a gas. Although it can injected directly in the pool (rare) or generated with a SWG, to be used in other forms it needs to be bound to something else. In trichlor/dichlor the binding agent is stabilizer. In Cal-hypo, it's calcium. In sodium hypochlorite, it's bound by water....nice and pure.

Reactions: HermanTX
The 90% is water. Liquid chlorine's byproducts are salt and water. Chlorine is a gas. Although it can injected directly in the pool (rare) or generated with a SWG, to be used in other forms it needs to be bound to something else. In trichlor/dichlor the binding agent is stabilizer. In Cal-hypo, it's calcium. In sodium hypochlorite, it's bound by water....nice and pure.
Very good explanation for the average user. Thanks.

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.