High CC

Jun 9, 2017
Hopwood, pa
Hello - I am looking for some advice. 10,000 gallon vinyl liner pool with DE filter. Readings over past four days below.
Pool is crystal clear. The only oddity is yellow staining on my steps - which I also had to deal with last year. I did not test for metals this year. Last year every test came back with no metal readings. However citric acid clears them right up - I just haven't wanted to lower the chlorine yet to clear them.

My question -- why the spike in CC? and what should I do about it?
I'm slamming each day as per quantities in the app.
Also working on lowering TA by lowering PH and aeration.

Start-upDay 2Day 3Day 4
FCno reading.4.62.5
CCno reading.4.68.5
PH87.87.27.2
TA170140140140
CH110100
CYA0035

Welcome to another swim season. :wave: So let's cover a few points:
- You do have iron in the water. That was proven when the citric acid cleared-up the stain. The question for later is how much iron is in the water? The higher the iron level, the more difficult it becomes to manage. But we can come back to that later.
- You mention you have been doing a SLAM Process, but your FC levels don't indicate that at all. With a CYA of 40 (rounded up), your FC level should be "16". See the FC/CYA Levels.
- What are you using to increase the FC? Powders or liquid chlorine/bleach? What brand?
- Your elevated CC levels could be either from the chlorine product you are using, excess products from last winter's closing, or a false test perhaps.
- Don't worry about the TA until the SLAM is complete. It's not that urgent.

Remember to test and add chlorine to reach a slam level of 16 for your cya per the FC/CYA Levels multiple times daily- its not a once a day addition. The more frequently you do this the faster it will go.
please readSLAM Process & follow it exactly to eradicate whatever is consuming your chlorine.

I think I found the culprit. Slammed last night and got to 16. (My other slams were only once a day, but I did get to the slam number 10 based on calculator and do not understand why my nightly readings were not indicating slam - should have recorded that in the chart above for a more accurate picture). This morning, all the yellowing on the steps is gone. Thinking that was the cause and was not really the iron that I thought it was. About to go test, change the earth, and slam again if needed. As per the metal - I used citric acid last year, kept polypill in the basket all season. I drained to return before covering and then filled on opening.

Welcome to another swim season. :wave: So let's cover a few points:
- You do have iron in the water. That was proven when the citric acid cleared-up the stain. The question for later is how much iron is in the water? The higher the iron level, the more difficult it becomes to manage. But we can come back to that later.
- You mention you have been doing a SLAM Process, but your FC levels don't indicate that at all. With a CYA of 40 (rounded up), your FC level should be "16". See the FC/CYA Levels.
- What are you using to increase the FC? Powders or liquid chlorine/bleach? What brand?
- Your elevated CC levels could be either from the chlorine product you are using, excess products from last winter's closing, or a false test perhaps.
- Don't worry about the TA until the SLAM is complete. It's not that urgent.
Ok. I've passed all three tests -- no CC, clear, held overnight. So now I need to work on the stained steps. I thought it was gone, but turns out it was bubbles, foam because I have the eyeball pointed up to increase PH. I'm slowly lowering TA by lowing PH and aerating. Vit. C does get rid of stain. Since I thought I tackled it last year, I want to make sure I do it the right way this year. Please help.

SLAM complete! :party:

full

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.