High CC reading during baquacil to chlorine conversion and yellow staining

kateinvt

Gold Supporter
Jun 2, 2019
Vermont
Hi again.
I am still trying to get my chlorine reading to 15ppm, following PoolMath instructions. today i reached 14, which is the highest yet. I had the same reading (11) at bedtime as I did this morning, so that seems like progress too, in that the pool retained chlorine for the first time. I am still using brite stix in the skimmer and occasionally shock with turbo shock. I noticed today that the white plastic steps going in to the pool are getting stained yellow. Is this because of the huge quantity of chlorine? Or another imbalance? Ph measures 7.3, CYA 30, and total alkalinity 88. The pool is about the same color as my spring lawn, or maybe a little bit more aqua. Pump is going 24/7, brushed and vacuumed daily. The pool is in full sun most the day.

I looked those "Brite Stix" up. Triclor + Copper Sulfate pentahydrate. I think I found your staining.

Solid chlorine products should never be left in the skimmer anyway.

Kate, how did you determine you needed to get to 15 FC?

If you're basing it on your CYA level, you keep moving the goalposts because those brite stix contain CYA. The higher the CYA, the higher is shock level. The ingredients are Trichloro-s-Triazinetrione: 93.5%, Copper Sulfate Pentahydrate: 1.5%, Other Ingredients: 5%, Trichlor adds CYA and the copper stuff is bad news. If it gets to a certain level, you will see big blotchy stains on the pool walls and blond swimmers will get green hair. Poolife TurboShock is calcium hypochlorite. It's going to leave behind a bunch of Calcium that you may not need or want.

The yellowing is probably from Iron in the water. It can be dealt with AFTER the algae is all gone.

To get rid of the algae,I suggest you try aSLAM Process exactly as written. If you haven;t already, also read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and How to Chlorinate Your Pool - Trouble Free Pool

Kate, how did you determine you needed to get to 15 FC?

If you're basing it on your CYA level, you keep moving the goalposts because those brite stix contain CYA. The higher the CYA, the higher is shock level. The ingredients are Trichloro-s-Triazinetrione: 93.5%, Copper Sulfate Pentahydrate: 1.5%, Other Ingredients: 5%, Trichlor adds CYA and the copper stuff is bad news. If it gets to a certain level, you will see big blotchy stains on the pool walls and blond swimmers will get green hair. Poolife TurboShock is calcium hypochlorite. It's going to leave behind a bunch of Calcium that you may not need or want.

The yellowing is probably from Iron in the water. It can be dealt with AFTER the algae is all gone.

To get rid of the algae,I suggest you try aSLAM Process exactly as written. If you haven;t already, also read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and How to Chlorinate Your Pool - Trouble Free Pool
Sorry- I didn't clarify- i'm converting from baquacil to chlorine. Instructions say to get to 15ppm

Sorry- I didn't clarify- i'm converting from baquacil to chlorine. Instructions say to get to 15ppm
Actually, my mistake. I didn't look and see which room this was in. So you can skip the SLAM article.

The other points are still valid, though. You need to watch how much Calcium and CYA you add and you don't want copper.

Reactions: kateinvt
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.