'Hibernate'/Shut Down Hot Tub for the Summer

hotubbie

May 17, 2020
Dallas
I have an outdoor hot tub and Summer is really heating up here in Texas. I'm thinking of shutting down the tub until around mid-September.
  • Should I empty it and not run any motors/electronics for the 3 months?
  • Should I leave it full, but only run the circulating pump from time to time and maybe do a weekly chemical levels check?
  • Any other recommended approach?
I just did a refill ran an Ahh-Some purge, so the pipes should be pretty clean.

Thanks!

I always drained mine and used the shop vac to get whatever i could out of the jets. My cover was prone to condensation and it let the rain seep through so the tub was never empty for long. When the weather cooled down i again went with the shop vac to suck out whatever it would get before filling it back up.

Reactions: RDspaguy
I put mine right up to each jet. If you pull back just a hair you can see if its sucking water or not. After the first big sploosh it sucks atomized drops, but still clearly removing water. The higher jets may drain themselves better just from gravity. Then i did the filter port and both drains on the bottom.

Also there will be a drain plug on the motor.

Depending on your specific model there may be a drain valve inside. If I remove the equipment panel on mine, there is a drain hose with valve that will not only empty the spa, but drain both motors as well.

Should I empty it and not run any motors/electronics for the 3 months?
If you drain (probably the easiest option), shut the power off. You should have a disconnect switch installed near the spa, just flip that off. That way you can't accidentally turn anything on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.