Hi from southern Italy!

Sim Bee

Jun 16, 2020
Italy
We are a British couple who bought a rural 'shack' about 10 years ago. Seven years ago I got early retirement and moved out here, my wife followed a year later when her work was cut. When the stone retaining wall by some derelict pig-sheds fell down a few years ago, we had it rebuilt in concrete, leaving a flat platform. 'How can we use this?' we thought - 'a pool?'. And so I bought a 4mx3m above ground pool kit and have been using it now for 3 years. I feel I am gradually getting on top of it, but still struggle with getting it all rebalanced at the beginning of the season. It is small (10,000 l = 2,600 gallons US) but has a lovely view over the Bay of Taranto.

Attachments

• SAM_3588.JPG
    SAM_3588.JPG
    648.7 KB · Views: 15
Welcome Sim Bee.
Your intro made me think of this article I saw recently about homes available in Italy for $1. Any thoughts?
You have to be prepared to restore a ruined house in a remote village (usually including including latest anti-earthquake strengthening), and then either live there as a resident and work, or start a local business. It's all about reviving the local economy. Well worth checking out if that appeals to you. :)