Hi from central Ohio, new owner of a 28,000 gal. Pool

Cokewife78

May 25, 2021
Central Ohio
Hi, thank you for adding me to the group. My husband and I bought a house with a 28,000 diving pool. I’ve been fighting what I “think” is mustard algae. I tested my water yesterday and my numbers scared me.

ph 7.0
Free Chorine - 0
Total Chlorine zero
Bromine 0
Alkalinity 120 ppm
Ca hardness 80 ppm calcium carbonate
Cya way over 100 ppm, it’s bad probably closer to 150-200

I was going to SLAM my pool last night but we are getting some big storms today so I decided to wait until tonight. My husband doesn’t want to partial drain the pool because when we took The cover off 2 weeks ago, we had all zeros for our levels. They (pool store) didn’t test the CYA Then. I asked them to do it yesterday. I’ve started testing my own water with the big Taylor kit. I was a science major so I love that kind of stuff.

Welcome to TFP :)

to test CYA over 100 take 1/2 cup pool water and 1/2 cup tap water mix it together and use that to do the CYA test... then times it by 2...

With CYA over 100 there is no reason to start a SLAM.. It would be better to empty at least some of the pool today to get free water and go from there.. You really want CYA bellow 50 to start a SLAM, the lower the better :)

no idea.... whatever your water costs?? It will cost MAJOR amounts of money trying to SLAM with a high CYA...