Hi from Australia

Yes there is an ingrained thought of go to the pool store and do what we are told by the strip tests mentality in Aus.. Or the Pay a pool guy to do it.

Everyone I have spoken to with a pool thinks im crazy for spending over 100 bucks on a test kit when you can get some strips or get it tested for "free" at a pool shop.

Where in Adelaide are you from mate? Missus is from Goolwa.

Yes there is an ingrained thought of go to the pool store and do what we are told by the strip tests mentality in Aus.. Or the Pay a pool guy to do it.

Everyone I have spoken to with a pool thinks im crazy for spending over 100 bucks on a test kit when you can get some strips or get it tested for "free" at a pool shop.

Where in Adelaide are you from mate? Missus is from Goolwa.

Scottie,

We are in Noarlunga Downs and just loving the area so far.

Goolwa is probably a 30min drive south of us over the next set of hills and also it has it's own separate climate compared the Adelaide plains where it is a whole lot warmer. :D

I have been doing a bit more reading with regards to Express Post and with the exception of WA and a few other more remote areas EP is supposed to be next business day delivery Aust wide and also comes with a tracking number. I have emailed NQ for a tracking number because naturally nothing again showed in the post today. I wonder if I shall get a reply?

Cheers,
John

The following discussion concerns a test kit sold in Australia. While it has many, many similarities, it has no relationship to the TF-100 sold by TFTestkits.

Greetings all,

Guess what showed up on the front door step via courier this morning? Yeah I'm shocked to say the least. Had an apology letter enclosed which also includes free refills for life + the express post delivery cost is being refunded.

Taking a quick look at the kit which I'm about to go out and try for the first time I can see I will have problems with the PH test as it is only a colored label stuck to the sample tube.

Lets go and do some testing....................

Cheers,
John

The following discussion concerns a test kit sold in Australia. While it has many, many similarities, it has no relationship to the TF-100 sold by TFTestkits.

Well that gives me some comfort. I am waiting for the delivery man (Sydney Office) to turn up.... if yours turned up today then mine should be today/ tomz

Well that gives me some comfort. I am waiting for the delivery man (Sydney Office) to turn up.... if yours turned up today then mine should be today/ tomz

Let's hope so Blake. :)

OK my tests are in although I have struggled with a couple of them....

PH = 8.2 or higher difficult for me to read real accurately
CH = 110 ppm
FC = 13 ppm
TA = 110 ppm
CYA = ? I have no idea and could not get the black dot to disappear no matter what angle or view I looked from
Salt = 4400 ppm but I gave up after 22 drops as the sample was not changing color as it should have

Cheers,
John

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You need to test for CYA with a diluted sample to fit the range of the test

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Ale I shall go and try again, but when you say diluted, what does that really mean?

My test called for 25ml of pool water + 25ml of cyanuric acid reagent, shake for 30sec and then stand for further minute. Water should have been cloudy at this point but looked clear to me?

Cheers,
John

I was remembering the test wrong actually. If you can still see the black dot with the tube full then your CYA is lower than the test kit can tell. May need to add some. My test kit minimum is 20. What's yours?

And your pH won't test accurately if your FC is greater than 10. Definitely good to try and establish your CYA first.

Thanks Jezza I have a lot to learn.

See post #8 here: Extended Test Kit Directions for how to test CYA.

Marian many thanks for that link it will be a constant go to for me, and from what that tells me I have zero CYA levels?

Cheers,
John

- - - Updated - - -

I was remembering the test wrong actually. If you can still see the black dot with the tube full then your CYA is lower than the test kit can tell. May need to add some. My test kit minimum is 20. What's yours?

Only goes down to 30.

Cheers,
John

So maybe use poolmaths to pitch for 60 CYA using 30 as a starting point. It takes a week for CYA to register when retesting for your new CYA level but then it will give you hopefully a more accurate level. Use the sock method in front of a return to distribute the stabilizer and run your pump for 24 hours-dialling down your swg to compensate for the extra run time. You also need to try to get that FC down so you can get an accurate reading on your pH.

Hi John,

How's that NQ kit working for you? It's LaMotte ColourQ for me - no guessing and perfect if your a little colour blind, just read the numbers.

I have been playing with test kits for over 20 years and really dislike colourmetric kits for the obvious reason. Back when I did chem at uni we got to use their photometers but they were to expensive for domestic use until products like the ColourQ and Hanna Checkers etc. A lot of the better shops have some decent photo meter equipment but any test will only ever be as good as the last calibration and reliant on the age of the reagents and the test kit. Having said that my pool always seams to look best when I've been away and haven't played with it for a while.

I got my colourQ from eseasongear but LaMotte Australia will ship them locally and my local Clark Rubber uses them to.
$136 LaMotte 2056 ColorQ PRO 7, Free 2-Day Shipping!

Cheers, Steve.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.