Hey everybody

Sep 8, 2010
Noblesville, IN
:wave: Just signing in as a noob. We had a 16 x 32 vinyl pool put in last month and are getting te final stages of landscaping done. I'm sureto have a lot of questons because this is our first pool and we are old people. From what I've read so far I may need a degree in chemistry....

HoleInOne said:
:wave: Just signing in as a noob. We had a 16 x 32 vinyl pool put in last month and are getting te final stages of landscaping done. I'm sureto have a lot of questons because this is our first pool and we are old people. From what I've read so far I may need a degree in chemistry....
Not at all. If you can follow the directions on a cake mix or a box of hamburger helper, you can maintain a perfect pool.

I'm hoping you've read Pool School. I suspect you've started, based on your comment. :mrgreen: Do you find yourself staring at the screen with your jaw hanging open, unable to move for minutes, until you realize you haven't got a clue what you just read? Don't worry, once you start testing and treating and seeing the results, it will suddenly come into focus.

Do yourself a huge favor and order up a good test kit now. I recommend the TF100 and the speedstir. There's an article about it in Pool School.

HoleInOne said:

Don't worry about the chemistry, the Pool Calculator will do the hard stuff. Test the water daily at first and keep records of tests and chemicals added.

In the beginning, check here before you do much of anything, just to be sure you have the numbers correct. Pretty soon it will all be routine, something like a cup or 2 of this, something like a jug of that, and test the other things weekly or monthly.

Welcome! :wave: You can definitely learn this stuff...I did..a year and a half ago for my new (and first) pool. Best thing I've done. It may seem overwhelming at first, but reading and re-reading some to get familiar with it all, then testing with a good kit, and keeping a logbook will make you a pro in no time. I saw it as something "fun" to learn, and it was...it's very gratifying to see the good results! :goodjob: The great majority is very simple basic stuff when you break it all down into steps. No degree needed. Plus, you have plenty of TFP'ers to hold your hand through the learning process and beyond. Happy pool ownership!

Melt In The Sun said:
Welcome to TFP!
Congrats on your hole in one (I presume)! I hit one to six inches my very first time playing golf, but haven't come that close since.

Thanks. Yep got one on the seventeenth hole and celebrated the rest of the day. I was signing hats, shirts, anything anybody had on. I think at one time they counted 35 empty glasses that held crown n water sitting on the table. I can't remember how many I bought but it was definetly a good time.