Helping my daughter with her new home with a pool

Alexsteve

May 26, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
My daughter recently purchased her first home and it includes an in-ground vinyl liner pool. When we removed the cover a few weeks ago the water was terrible. The color was very dark dark green/black. After some advice from local pool place a lot of Dichlor was added and a Crud ton of liquid chlorine (10% concentration). There was also a 1/3 partial drain and refill. We are now at a point where the water is completely free of green color and is clearing up nicely (although still a bit cloudy, which some clarifier has been helping at the suggestion of the pool place people) And now I am ready to really get all the chemistry correct. The PH is very low and I was looking at maybe adding Borate to the chemistry after reading some things on this site. And it appears that now would be a good time to do so if it is going to be done because my PH is already low and adding borate using Borax would also raise PH which I need anyway and also raise TA which I also need. Anyway, please if you collection of experts could look at the numbers and suggest the next steps. Thanks.

FC-4
CC-0
PH-6.2
TA-60
CH-120
CYA-30

Also, forgot to mention that we are very strongly considering transitioning to SWCG system (for the perceived benefits of easier maintenance of pool chemistry, as I don’t live with my daughter, to make it easier on her)

Borax to raise pH is a good idea. That low pH is going to be rough on the heater. Real rough. And not so swimmer-friendly, either. Fix that soon. Like, now. If you have no borax, dig around in the shed. Maybe the last owners left some pH up or soda ash or washing soda? Check the pictures in this thread Maintain your chemicals correctly

Going all in with borates is a pretty big step and totally optional. It's better if you have a good handle on the chemistry before adding one more variable to juggle. Borates are also not the magic pill people hope they are. If you've still got cloudiness, you may still have some algae. I've never bothered so I can't offer any tips on the doing if you go ahead.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.