Bronze Supporter
May 24, 2016
Owensboro, KY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Helping my friend - uncovered her pool to find this orange like substance on the bottom of her pool. Here are her test results using my TF-100 kit:

FC - 0
CC - 0
PH - 7.2
CYA - 40
TA - 160
CH - 125

The pool is above-ground Intex 16' x 4' round (6,000 gal) with a salt water generator. Water is city water. No chemicals have been added yet this year. Last year she used this chlorine free winterizing kit when closing: Pool Chemical Winterizing Kits - Pool Closing Value Packs - In The Swim. She used everything except the white pool floater that came in the kit.

We were not able to pick anything up on a net; however it will move across the bottom, but does not disperse into a cloud so there is some weight to it?! We are hopeful that it will vacuum out ok - but she will probably have to stop often to wash off the filter cartridge. Has anyone ever seen anything like this before? Do you think its ok to hook up the SWG to get some chlorine in the pool or just wait until after she (hopefully) gets the orange stuff out?

IMG-0333.jpgIMG-0334.jpgIMG-0335.jpg

That's a mess for sure, and one that I wouldn't both trying to filter since this is your friend's Intex pool (not the one in your sig). If THIS BOTTLE is the same one that came with the kit, it has copper. Many algaecides do which is why we caution TFP members about their use. In your friends case, I initially suspected iron, but even if there is some, there's also copper. The Intex filter is no match for that stuff. I would use a small sump pump to get out as much as you can and start over. With the water that low, do the clean-out quickly and get the fresh water back in to avoid disrupting the pool's stability.

Thanks for your input. I think we are going to try the sump pump to try to get most of it out. I have been searching around the internet for a while now and I have not been able to find out what chemicals are actually in their winterizer. I suspect you are correct and it is the winter algaecide though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.