Help with Umbrella Sleeve Placement

MinerJason

Bronze Supporter
Jan 29, 2018
Tucson, AZ
I'm extending my baja shelf and adding a step down into the pool as part of my remodel, and bought 2 umbrella sleeves to put in. I'm nearly ready to start pouring new concrete, so it's time to finalize the decision on where to put them. We've been all over the place with ideas, but would like to be able to have one location provide shade for a couple of chairs in the morning, and the other provide afternoon shade. The open area will be 10' 4" by 7' 6". I've attached a sketch of the shelf area with one of the placement ideas. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

umbrella.JPG

Not what you've asked, but a possible alternative...

I suspended a shade sail over my pool, to hide from the sun. No holes in the pool. No poles to look at or bump into. And 100% wind proof so nothing to take down or put away, even in the worst of weather. The shade does move across the pool, of course, so in your case you'd have to experiment with size and placement to get you the shade you want. But the other plus side, is that you can actually do just that. By manipulating anchor points and/or suspension lines, you can dial in the placement of the sail, or even move it around throughout the season as the sun's arc moves. Something that can't be said of umbrellas with bases in stone (literally)...

I like the look of a shade sail, or two, better than umbrellas, too.

https://shadesails.com

It looks like to me that as the afternoon sun moves the lounge towards bottom of pic will get less shade. Maybe mount 1 sleeve between lounges close to steps for morning shade and the other sleeve between the lower lounge in pic and side of pool for afternoon sun. Don't forget to leave room for a small table between lounges to hold your drinks!!

Thanks for the ideas.

I'm also planning on putting up a set of 2 large shade sails, but that's going to require installing some large steel posts as there's nothing near the pool to attach them to right now. That likely won't happen until next year at the earliest.

The umbrella will eventually be supplemental shade, and the only shade for the next year. Was only planning on one 10-11' diameter umbrella, with two sleeves for it so that I could move it depending on time of day.

It makes more sense shade wise to have the sleeves further south, but I also wanted to keep a pathway into the pool clear.

Great point about leaving room for a small table. We had also thought about getting a small round drink table that attaches to the umbrella pole, which was one reason the layout I posted above had both sleeves between the chairs.

I'm leaning towards either having the morning position sleeve like the diagram above, but putting the afternoon position sleeve to the south of both chairs, or just one sleeve in between the chairs as Rob suggested. Thoughts?

Put a cement base in there, on some soft nylon feet, and move the thing around as needed, until you get your sails. No holes, no worry about where to put ‘em, then next year: no holes or covers to stub toes, no place for dirt to collect, or algae to hide...

Or use one of those cantilevered jobs, from the deck, which you’ll be able to use elsewhere next year.

Just suggesting alternatives to a set of holes in the pool, which after a few good blasts of wind, via a 6’ lever, would seem to me to have the potential of compromising the waterproofing of the finish. Remember, gunite is not waterproof, only the plaster is. How does the sleeve work? Does it penetrate the plaster and the gunite? Which might mean only the 1/2” or so of plaster is sealing to the sleeve? I hope there’s more to it than that, either way I wouldn’t want it in my pool.

Just thinkin’ outloud...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.