Help With Transition: What size Intex salt water chlorine generator?

DuchessJen

Jun 18, 2021
Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
Hi everyone!
Thank you, in advance, for your help!
I have a 1,718 gallon above-ground Intex pool, with plans to upgrade to a large pool in the future.
Last year, we did chlorine, and this year, we'd like to switch to salt! My toddler has eczema, so we think this will be a nice change for her.

Intex has a few super affordable solutions for salt water systems, but their pricing makes me want to get the larger one...but I don't know if that would be detrimental.

As we experienced last year before our pump upgrade, Intex is known to offer systems that are too small for the matching pool (such as the pumps that come with the above ground pools).
So, I'm wondering if I should err on the side of caution and get the SWG whose range goes up to larger size pools.

Could I get some help and understanding behind which SWG to purchase?

Our Pool:
  • Gallons: 1,718
  • Size: 12' circle, 36" tall.
  • Material: Vinyl with metal pole frame
  • Filtration: Sand
  • Pump Flow: 2,400 GPH
  • Inlets: 2
  • Outlets: 2
  • Accessories that leverage pump: 1 fountain
  • Best CYA for our location with Chlorine last year: 60
SWG 1: Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System CG-26667, 110-120V with GFCI
  • Requires a filter pump with a flow rate between 700-3,200 gph
  • Chlorine output: 5g/hr
  • 24 hr. auto-clock cycle
  • Max pool size: up to 7,000 gallon
SWG 2: Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System CG-26669, 110-120V with GFCI
  • Requires a filter pump with a flow rate between 700-3,200gph
  • Chlorine output: 12g/hr
  • 24 hr. auto-clock cycle
  • Max pool size: up to 15,000 gallons
Thank you for helping me understand which fits my needs better.

Last edited:
I've opted for the 12g/hr SWG, after doing calculations. I can run the SWG for a smaller amount of time (1-2 hours) as opposed to 5-6 hours with the 5g/hr SWG.

Reactions: Mdragger88
The bigger the better especially if you may get a larger pool in the near future.
I have had pretty decent luck with the intex swg’s lasting several years.

The bigger the better especially if you may get a larger pool in the near future.
I have had pretty decent luck with the intex swg’s lasting several years.
Awesome! So happy that I nailed it!
Originally, I was concerned that it would generate too much chlorine, but:
  1. Our direct sunlight is very intense; I think extra chlorine would be okay.
  2. When I was working with chlorine last year, I remember the chlorine range being wide enough for extra chlorine to be generated
  3. I really won't have to worry about another algae bloom!
Do you happen to have any tips for me? Things you wish you knew when you started SWG?

The intex units are very sensitive to salt level so they will not operate if its too high/low - about 2800-2900 ppm was what all of mine liked. With such a small pool volume you won’t have much wiggle room & a lot of rain might throw u off. My advice is to get a Taylor k1766 to accurately test salt before you add any/drain water etc. If stored properly the regeants will last several seasons. When adding salt- add 1/2 of what PoolMath & testing calls for then test again in 24hrs & add the remainder based on your results as to not overshoot. You want to reach your target with liquid chlorine then allow the swg to maintain not wait for the swg to make it up to target from zero - even very oversized units aren’t designed to do this, they are maintainers. You will need to chlorinate manually until your salt is dissolved & adjusted anyway.
Also even though they have a built in timer, when the power goes out the intex units don’t reset themselves - you must go out & push the button. This needs to coordinate with the pump timer (swg run timeframe should be inside of the pump run timeframe)

I agree with Mdragger88 the Intex likes the salt on the lower level.

Keep an eye on the generator/electrode it will build calcium and in turn set a low salt or a high salt code, when you start noticing the calcium build up pull the electrode and soak for several hours in white vinegar to dissolve the calcium then rinse & reinstall. The low & high salt codes are a common problem sometimes you can just turn the connector over that plugs in to the electrode and it will cure the codes but ALWAYS check the salt level before adjusting for the low or high salt code.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.