Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hi there,

I have a Hayward T-CELL-LS-CUL (low salt, 30,000 gallon) with corresponding controller. My chlorine levels aren’t registering on test strips.

We just moved in and previous owners did little maintenance on the pool equipment (already had to replace ancient pump and heater, and the filters were disgusting).

I connected the chlorinator to a new OmniHub (using the daughter board) but am getting nothing under the diagnostics screen in OmniHub except for the average salt (2.1g/L). The percentage output can be set via the OmniHub and it does turn on/off as expected from the hub.

On the chlorinator controller, I have the following readings:

Pool temp: 82F
Voltage: 26.2
Amps: 5.17
Desired output: 100%
Instant salt: 2100
Product name: AL-0
Revision: r1.11

I’m going to get some muriatic acid to clean the cell (I doubt the previous owners had it cleaned).

Some questions:

1. Any idea why none of the diagnostics are showing up on the OmniHub? And how to fix this? The hub has it listed as a T-Cell-15 (940) in config.

2. How to diagnose if the cell needs replacing? The previous owners had it replaced at least once before (old one sitting in a box in the pool shed). Is there a way to determine how old it is?

Being new to pool ownership, we had a pool maintenance company handle the opening, the pump and heater installation, and had them come by for a couple weeks to check chemicals. They said the no chlorine reading is ok because the water is staying clear. The rest of the chemical levels are ok according to them. I’m concerned that I have a salt cell set to 100% and still have no free chlorine.

Thanks!

Post the serial number on both cells
I used a Hayward serial number decoder file found on this site to determine that the cell that was installed was from 2020, the old one lying in the box in the shed was from 2014. So the installed one is pretty new.

I got some muriatic acid and followed the steps to clean the newer cell. It was almost entirely blocked with deposits. I cleaned it three times (until the bubbling stopped, 15 mins per cleaning with a 4:1 water:acid solution). It’s now perfectly clean. I’ve reinstalled it and got the system up and running on a super chlorinate cycle.

I’ll report back tomorrow with results. Thanks!

After cleaning the cell and running on a super chlorinate cycle for 24 hours, I now have a measurement of approx 1-2 ppm free chlorine.

Still haven’t figured out why the OmniHub diagnostics aren’t showing the values displayed on the chlorinator panel, but it is able to remotely control the unit, so I can live with that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.