May 20, 2018
Clovis, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all,

I just got a solar cover for my pool, and this reel to put it on: Amazon.com : VINGLI Pool Cover Reel Set Aluminum Solar Swimming Inground Cover Blanket Reel, Up to 18-Feet Wide x 40-Feet Length : Garden Outdoor

My pool is freeform, and I'll need to cut the cover to fit the pool. The end where the reel is at is quite a bit wider than the far end.

I have been told to leave the end where the reel is square, because that is better to clip it onto the reel. Is that right? Doesn't seem right to me because then the end of the cover will sit up on the coping off the water, or if I cut the cover shorter it will leave a slice at the end of the pool uncovered.

There is a link in my sig with pics of the pool in question.

THANKS!

You don't have to attach the clips at the end of the cover; in fact, trying to do so may not work in your case. Its best in your case to attach the clips to a folded section of the cover at the widest part of your shallow end as shown in the photo below. Its best to lay the cover out over the pool to allow it to acclimate and un-crease. Set up your reel. It looks like you will need to be real close to the raised pool wall. Before you cut, place the clips on the cover directly under the reel (as shown in the photo) since folding the cover will shorten the overall length...then make your cut. Take your time. In the future, you can use your old cover as a template for replacements.

Hope this makes sense.

Best of luck! Your pool turned out great.

strap-1.jpg

Hi all,

I just got a solar cover for my pool, and this reel to put it on: Amazon.com : VINGLI Pool Cover Reel Set Aluminum Solar Swimming Inground Cover Blanket Reel, Up to 18-Feet Wide x 40-Feet Length : Garden Outdoor

My pool is freeform, and I'll need to cut the cover to fit the pool. The end where the reel is at is quite a bit wider than the far end.

I have been told to leave the end where the reel is square, because that is better to clip it onto the reel. Is that right? Doesn't seem right to me because then the end of the cover will sit up on the coping off the water, or if I cut the cover shorter it will leave a slice at the end of the pool uncovered.

There is a link in my sig with pics of the pool in question.

THANKS!
We are building an 18x34 with 10 ft roman steps at each end (thinking the steps may add 3 or 4 ft length each end?) & wanting to get a solar cover to warm up the water a little quicker this spring. Do you like your cover & reel so far?

We are building an 18x34 with 10 ft roman steps at each end (thinking the steps may add 3 or 4 ft length each end?) & wanting to get a solar cover to warm up the water a little quicker this spring. Do you like your cover & reel so far?

Hmm... How to answer that. I hate my cover. It's big, it's annoying, I always said I did not want one, but I just can't economically keep the pool heated without it, so there it is. As far as pool covers go, yes, I think it's fine. The reel is good quality, and so far the cover itself that I got on eBay seems to be holding up well. It certainly helps keep the heat in so my heat pump isn't running all the time. Unless money is no object, then you should get one.

Hmm... How to answer that. I hate my cover. It's big, it's annoying, I always said I did not want one, but I just can't economically keep the pool heated without it, so there it is. As far as pool covers go, yes, I think it's fine. The reel is good quality, and so far the cover itself that I got on eBay seems to be holding up well. It certainly helps keep the heat in so my heat pump isn't running all the time. Unless money is no object, then you should get one.
We do not plan to install a heater at this time... maybe down the road. Our builder starts mid-March and I would love to be using the pool in May. We live in Arkansas, so it will be warm in May, but the nights are still too cool to keep the water temp up

We do not plan to install a heater at this time... maybe down the road. Our builder starts mid-March and I would love to be using the pool in May. We live in Arkansas, so it will be warm in May, but the nights are still too cool to keep the water temp up

It will help. It cuts my night time heat loss in half, so as long as it warms up during the day. I have friends that use one without a heater to extend their season.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.