Help with return jets coming off!

May 12, 2018
Minneola
First of all, i've been following this site and forums for a long time now. Best place i found on internet for how to properly maintain my pool. However i been scouring internet and can't find anyone asking this question so i decided to finally register and ask!

Our pool has about 6-7 return jets and have been using a pool shark regularly to automate pool vacuuming. The pool shark regularly gets hung up on the jets all around the pool and slowly works them loose until they fall off or get stuck in the pool shark. This happens probably upwards of a dozen times a year and it's always different jets. The jets are a pain to get on as in many parts of pool i literally have to swim fully under water to put them back on, and i haven't figured out anything to use other then my bare hands and a cloth or glove to tighten as much as possible.

My question is. Is something i should put on the threads like a lubricant or something that would make it easier to tighten and maybe not come loose as often or anymore. I really don't know if there is any kind of tape or application i can put on the threads to help with this.

During summer it's not so bad, i can go in pool and put them back on and usually lasts another few months, but i tend to let pool go with missing jets in winter due to not wanting to go into ice cold water to put them back on.

EDIT: Our pool has these type of return jets https://www.amazon.com/Swimming-Pool-Return-Directional-Eyeball/dp/B0193RCMWY/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1526149464&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=pool+eyeball+jet&psc=1
Don't know if i can put links here. the ring just is plastic and screws onto a plastic male thread in pool. maybe there is a gasket or something we can get to help keep them tighter?

I’m having the same issue on my return eyeball. In my case, newer replacement eyeballs (Hayward threaded, etc), don’t seem to have quite as deep threads on them. Im going to try teflon tape first, and possibly a seal compound next. Ill let you know how it goes. Any other ideas are greatly appreciated!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.